Macromolecular Research, Vol.19, No.4, 332-337, April, 2011
Preparation and Characterization of Optically Active Polyamides Based on 3-Phenyl-2-(9,10-dihydro-9,10-ethanoanthracene-11,12-dicarboximido)propanoylamino in 1,3-Dipropylimidazolium Bromide
The exploitation of ionic liquids (IL)s for the preparation and use of non-vinyl macromolecules brings together two of the most stimulating and promising areas of research from recent years. In this study, IL, 1,3-dipropylimidazolium bromide, was examined as a replacement for volatile toxic organic solvents for the direct polycondensation of chiral dicarboxylic acid monomer, 5-[3-phenyl-2-(9,10-dihydro-9,10-ethanoanthracene-11,12-dicarboximido)propanoylamino]isophthalic acid (1) with diverse aromatic diamines (2a-2g). The optically active polyamides (PA)s were obtained in 80-98% yield and the inherent viscosities in the range of 0.39-0.69 dLg-1. The higher inherent viscosities and thermal stability were found in this IL compared to analogous compounds in organic solvents under milder reaction conditions. The yields of the PAs were comparable. All the polymers were amorphous and exhibited excellent solubility in many organic solvents. The procedure was found to be an efficient and green technique for the synthesis of the aforementioned PAs. The PAs were characterized by FTIR, specific rotation, 1H NMR, elemental analysis, thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), differential scanning calorimetry and X-ray diffraction.
- Wasserscheid P, Welton T, Ionic Liquids in Synthesis, Second, Completely Revised and Enlarged Edition, WILEYVCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim, 2008).
- Endres F, MacFarlane D, Abbott A, Electrodeposition from Ionic Liquids, WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim, 2008).
- Parvulescu VI, Hardacre C, Chem. Rev., 107(6), 2615 (2007)
- Berthod A, Ruiz-Angel MJ, Carda-Broch S, J. Chromatogr. A, 1184, 6 (2008)
- Kubisa P, Prog. Polym. Sci, 34, 1333 (2009)
- Zhu S, Wu Y, Chen Q, Yu Z, Wang C, Jin S, Ding Y, Wu G, Green Chem., 8, 325 (2006)
- Okada Y, Sawada H, Colloid Polym. Sci., 287, 1359 (2009)
- Lu J, Yan F, Texter J, Prog. Polym. Sci, 34, 431 (2009)
- Puttick S, Irvine DJ, Licence P, Thurecht KJ, J. Mater. Chem., 19, 2679 (2009)
- Mallakpour S, Rafiee Z, Polymer, 49(13-14), 3007 (2008)
- Vijayaraghavan R, MacFarlane DR, Macromolecules, 40(18), 6515 (2007)
- Yang HH, Aromatic High-Strength Fibers, Wiley, New York, 1989).
- Cassidy PE, Thermally Stable Polymers Synthesis and Properties, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1980).
- Lin CH, Chang SL, Fang YT, Hwang HJ, Tsai CH, Polymer, 51(2), 414 (2010)
- Garcia JM, Garcia FC, Serna F, de la Pena JL, Prog. Polym. Sci., 35, 623 (2010)
- Mallakpour S, Rafiee Z, React. Funct. Polym., 69(4), 252 (2009)
- Kwon OP, Rezzonico D, Kwon SJ, Jazbinsek M, Gunter P, Eur. Polym. J., 44, 2219 (2008)
- Liou GS, Yen HJ, Su YT, Lin HY, J. Polym. Sci. A: Polym. Chem., 45(18), 4352 (2007)
- Mallakpour S, Rafiee Z, Macromol. Res., 17(11), 901 (2009)
- Mallakpour S, Dinari M, Macromol. Res., 18(2), 129 (2010)
- Sanda F, Endo T, Macromol. Chem. Phys., 200, 2651 (1999)
- Katsarava R, Macromol. Symp., 199, 419 (2003)
- Baughman TW, Wagener KB, Adv. Polym. Sci., 176, 1 (2005)
- Bechaouch S, Coutin B, Sekiguchi H, Macromol. Chem. Phys., 197, 1661 (1996)
- Bechaouch S, Gachard I, Coutin B, Sekiguchi H, Polym. Bull., 38(4), 365 (1997)
- Pascual S, Gachard I, Coutin B, Sekiguchi H, Macromol. Chem. Phys., 202, 873 (2001)
- Mallakpour S, Kowsari E, J. Polym. Sci. A: Polym. Chem., 43(24), 6545 (2005)
- Mallakpour S, Rafiee Z, Polym. Adv. Technol., 21, 817 (2010)
- Van Krevelen DW, Hoftyzer PJ, Properties of Polymer, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, New York, 1976.