Korean Chemical Engineering Research, Vol.49, No.3, 314-319, June, 2011
Slot 코팅 공정에서 Non-Newtonian 유체의 코팅 균일성을 위한 최적 다이 설계
An Optimal Die Design for the Coating Uniformity of Non-Newtonian Liquids in Slot Coating Process
본 연구에서는 전산유체모사기인 Fluent를 활용하여 slot 다이 내부에서 Newtonian과 non-Newtonian 코팅액의 동적 거동을 고찰함으로써 최적 다이 설계를 위한 방법론을 구축하고자 하였다. 다이 출구에서 코팅액의 속도분포를 일정하게 하기 위해 chamber 구조를 변화시킴으로써 최적 하이브리드 다이의 설계가 가능하였다. 특히, non-Newtonian 유체의 경우, 전단담화 정도와 chamber의 coat-hanger 최적 길이의 상관관계를 도출하였다.
In this study, the flow behavior of Newtonian and non-Newtonian coating liquids inside slot die has been scrutinized for the purpose of optimal internal die design in slot coating system from three-dimensional computations by CFD Fluent solver. A hybrid slot die could be optimally designed by changing the chamber or manifold structure to guarantee the uniform velocity distribution of coating liquids at die exit. Especially, for the non-Newtonian coating liquids, the length of coat-hanger for the uniform coating has been properly chosen, according to the degree of their shearthinning properties.
Keywords:Slot Coating;Internal Die Design;Non-Newtonian Coating Liquid;Uniform Coating;Chamber Structure
- Ruschak KJ, Chem. Eng. Sci., “Limiting Flow in a Pre-metered Coating Device", 31, 1057 (1976)
- Higgins BG, Scriven LE, Chem. Eng. Sci., “Capillary Pressure and Viscous Pressure Drop Set Bounds on Coating Bead Operability", 35, 673 (1980)
- Sartor L, Slot Coating: Fluid Mechanics and Die Design. PhD Thesis, University of Minnesota (1990)
- Gates IA, Slot Coating Flows: Feasibility, Quality. PhD Thesis, Gates, I. A., Slot Coating Flows: Feasibility, Quality. PhD Thesis (1999)
- Lee KY, Liu LD, Liu TJ, Chem. Eng. Sci., “Minimum Wet Thickness in Extrusion Slot Coating", 47, 1703 (1992)
- Carvalho MS, Kheshgi HS, AIChE J., “Low-flow Limit in Slot Coating: Theory and Experiments", 46(10), 1907 (2000)
- Ning CY, Tsai CC, Liu TJ, Chem. Eng. Sci., “The Effect of Polymer Additives on Extrusion Slot Coating", 51(12), 3289 (1996)
- Yang CK, Wong DSH, Liu TJ, Polym. Eng. Sci., “The Effects of Polymer Additives on the Operating Windows of Slot Coating", 44(10), 1970 (2004)
- Romero OJ, Suszynski WJ, Scriven LE, Carvalho MS, J. Non-Newton. Fluid Mech., “Low-flow Limit in Slot Coating of Dilute Solutions of High Molecular Weight Polymer", 118(2-3), 137 (2004)
- Carley JF, J. Appl. Phys., “Flow of Melts in ‘Crosshead’-slit Dies: Criteria for Die Design", 9, 1118 (1954)
- Pearson JRA, Trans. J. Plastics Inst., “Non-Newtonian Flow and Die Design”, 32, 239 (1964)
- McKelvey JM, Ito K, Polym. Eng. Sci., “Uniformity of Flow From Sheeting Dies", 11, 258 (1971)
- Matsubara Y, Polym. Eng. Sci., “Geometry Design of a Coat-Hanger Die with Uniform Flow Rate and Residence Time Across the Die Width", 19, 169 (1979)
- Lee KY, Liu LD, Polym. Eng. Sci., “Design and Analysis of a Dual-cavity Coat-hanger Die", 29, 15 (1989)
- Tadmor Z, Broyer E, Gutfinger C, Polym. Eng. Sci., “Flow Analysis Network (FAN) Method for Solving Flow Problems in Polymer Processing", 14, 660 (1974)
- Wang Y, Int. Polym. Proc., “Extrusion of Rubber Compounds and Highly Filled Thermoplastics through Coathanger Dies", 6, 311 (1991)
- Fluent 6.2 User’s Guide, Fluent Inc.