Macromolecular Research, Vol.18, No.1, 29-34, January, 2010
Preparation and Biocompatibility Study of Gelatin/Kappa-carrageenan Scaffolds
Novel porous scaffolds composed of gelatin/kappa-carrageenan (GC) were fabricated by freeze-drying followed by chemical cross-linking with 1-ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)carbodiimide (EDC). The morphology of the insoluble GC sponges was examined by field emission scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM). The porosity of the GC sponge increased with increasing kappa-carrageenan content. Implantation of a GC sponge into the subcutaneous connective tissue of Wistar rats confirmed that the scaffold was biodegradable. Fibroblasts infiltrated into the sponge matrix, and regenerated collagen in the matrix to a level of 25% at 14 days after surgery. The C-reactive protein level in the blood samples also showed a similar result. The blood and histological results show that the GC sponges have good biocompatibility and low antigenicity indicating that they would be safe and effective tissue engineering scaffolds.
- Birukov KG, Shirinsky VP, Stepanova OV, Tkachuk VA, Hahn AWA, Resink TJ, Smirnov VN, Mol. Cell. Biochem., 144, 131 (1995)
- Kanda K, Matsuda T, Cell Transplant, 2, 475 (1993)
- Reusch P, Wagdy H, Reusch R, Wilson E, Ives HE, Circ. Res., 79, 1046 (1996)
- Sumpio BE, Banes AJ, Link WG, Johnson G, Arch. Surg., 123, 1233 (1988)
- Nimni ME, Cheung D, Strates B, Kodama M, Skeikh K, J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 21, 741 (1987)
- Choi YS, Hong SR, Lee YM, Song KW, Park MH, Nam YS, Biomaterials, 20, 409 (1999)
- Choi YS, Hong SR, Lee YM, Song KW, Park MH, Nam YS, J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 48, 631 (1999)
- Choi YS, Lee SB, Hong SR, Lee YM, Song KW, Park MH, Nam YS, J. Mater. Sci. -Mater. Med., 11, 1 (2001)
- Hong SR, Lee SJ, Shim JW, Choi YS, Lee YM, Song KW, Park MH, Nam YS, Lee SI, Biomaterials, 22, 2777 (2001)
- Mao JS, Zhao LG, Yiu YJ, Yao KD, Biomaterials, 24, 1067 (2003)
- Diehl-Seifert B, Kurelec B, Zahn RK, Dorn A, Jericevic B, Uhlenbruck G, Mueller WEG, J. Cell Sci., 79, 271 (1985)
- Alberts B, Bray D, Lewis J, Raff M, Roberts K, Watson JD, The Molecular Biology of the Cell, Garland Publishers, 1994, pp 971-990.
- Tomihata K, Burczak K, Shiraki K, Ikada Y, in Polymers of Biological and Biomedical Importance, Shalaby SW, Ikada Y, Langer RS, Williams J, Eds., American Chemical Society Symp Series, 1994, Vol. 540.
- Meier S, Hay ED, Dev. Biol., 38, 249 (1974)
- Gey GO, Svoelis M, Foard M, Bang FB, Exp. Cell. Res., 84, 63 (1974)
- Nijenhuis KT, Carrageenans, Thermoreversible Networks, Springer, Berlin, 1997, pp 203-252.
- Ziats NP, Miller KM, Anderson JM, Biomaterials, 9, 5 (1988)
- Jablonska E, Jablonski J, Holownink WE, Immunol. Lett., 70, 191 (1999)
- Tillett WS, Francis T, J. Exp. Med., 52, 561 (1930)
- Abernathy TJ, Avery OT, J. Exp. Med., 73, 173 (1941)
- Macleod CM, Avery OT, J. Exp. Med., 73, 183 (1941)
- Kolb-Bachofen V, Immunobiology, 183, 133 (1991)
- Lelong M, Renard MF, Giraudeaux V, Clin. Chim. Acta., 288, 147 (1999)