Korean Journal of Materials Research, Vol.32, No.7, 313-319, July, 2022
Analysis of Bulk Concentration on Double-Layer Structure for Electrochemical Capacitors
Double-layer capacitors (DLCs) are developed with high surface electrodes to achieve a high capacitance value. In the present work, the initial bulk concentration of 1 mol/m3 and 3 mol /m3 are selected to show the consequential effects on the performance of a double-layer capacitor. A 1D model of COMSOL Multiphysics has been developed to analyze the electric field and potential in cell voltage, the electric displacement field and polarization induced by the field, and energy density in a double-layer structure. The electrostatics and the electric circuit modes in COMSOL are used to simulate the electrochemical processes in the double-layer structure. The analytical analysis of a double-layer capacitor with different initial bulk concentrations is investigated by using Poisson-Nernst-Plank equations. From the simulation results, the differential capacitance changes as a function of compact layer thickness and initial bulk concentration. The energy density varies with the differential capacitance and voltage window. The values of energy density are dominated by the interaction of ions in the solution and electrode surface.
- Yu A, Chabot V, Zhang J, Electrochemical Supercapacitors for Energy Storage and Delivery, 1st Ed., CRC Press (2013).
- Madabattula G, Gupta SK, Proceedings of the 2012 COMSOL Conference in Bangalore (2012).
- Gongadze E, Petersen S, Beck U, Rienen UV, Proc. of the COMSOL Conf. 2009 Milan (2009).
- Berrueta A, Ursua A, Martin IS, Eftekhari A, Sanchis P, IEEE Access, 7, 50869 (2019)
- Schneuwly A, Gallay R, Proc. PCIM, p. 1 (2000).
- Cheng Q, Chen W, J. Power Sources, 469, 228400 (2020)
- Kashkooli AG, Farhad S, Chabot V, Yu A, Chen Z, Appl. Energy, 138, 631 (2014)
- Zhang G, Proc. of the COMSOL Conf., Boston (2010).
- Oldham KB, J. Electroanal. Chem., 613, 131 (2008)
- Srinivasan V, Weidner JW, J. Electrochem. Soc., 146, 1650 (1999)
- Wang H, Varghese J, Pilon L, Electrochim. Acta, 56, 6189 (2011)
- Khaing KNN, Hla TT, Proc. of the Universal Academic Cluster Int. Conf. in Bangkok [Online], p. 214 (2021).
- Khaing KNN, Hla TT, Proc. of the Universal Academic Cluster Int. Conf. in Bangkok [Online], p. 228 (2021).