Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol.39, No.6, 1375-1383, June, 2022
Process modeling and design of reverse osmosis membrane system for seawater desalination
Reverse osmosis desalination membranes can be utilized to purify seawater creating clean water. To meet purity requirements multiple membrane modules are typically required and the configuration should be chosen to minimize energy consumption and costs. Here a numerical model is proposed based on a tanks-in-series formulation of model equations. This model was validated against reverse osmosis system analysis (ROSA®) simulation software and used to investigate the performance of a number of different configurations. Systematic evaluation was made on how the performance of membrane systems is influenced by the arrangement of multiple vessels for the multi-module design of membranes systems.
- Alsarayeh AA, Al-Obaidi MA, Patel R, Mujtaba IM, Processes, 8, 573 (2020)
- World Health Organization, Guidelines for drinking-water quality: Fourth edition incorporating the first addendum, Geneva, Switzerland (2017).
- Abbas A, Chem. Eng. Process., 44, 999 (2005)
- Al-Obaidi MA, Li JP, Alsadaie S, Kara-Zaitri C, Mujtaba IM, Chem. Eng. J., 350, 824 (2018)
- Geraldes V, Pereira NE, de Pinho MN, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 44, 1897 (2005)
- Senthilmurugan S, Ahluwalia A, Gupta SK, Desalination, 173, 269 (2005)
- Avlonitis S, Hanbury WT, Ben Boudinar M, Desalination, 89, 227 (1993)
- Sundaramoorthy S, Srinivasan G, Murthy DVR, Desalination, 280, 403 (2011)
- Mane PP, Park PK, Hyung H, Brown JC, Kim JH, J. Membr. Sci., 338, 119 (2009)
- Hyung H, Kim JH, J. Membr. Sci., 286, 269 (2006)
- Du Y, Liu Y, Zhang S, Xu Y, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 55, 12860 (2016)
- Binns M, Sustainability, 13, 8999 (2021)
- Levenspiel O, Chemical reaction engineering, 3rd ed., Wiley and sons, New Jersey (1999).
- Katoh T, Tokumura M, Yoshikawa H, Kawase Y, Sep. Purif. Technol., 76, 362 (2011)
- Binns M, Lee S, Yeo YK, Lee JH, Moon JH, Yeo JG, Kim JK, J. Membr. Sci., 497, 458 (2016)
- Lee S, Binns M, Lee JH, Moon JH, Yeo JG, Yeo YK, Lee YM, Kim JK, J. Membr. Sci., 541, 224 (2017)
- Lee C, Kang Y, Kim D, Kim I, Membranes, 11, 240 (2021)
- Ruiz-Garcia A, Leon FA, Ramos-Martin A, Desalination, 449, 131 (2019)
- Taniguchi M, Kurihara M, Kimurav S, J. Membr. Sci., 183, 259 (2001)
- ROSA: reverse osmosis system analysis software, version 7, Dow Chemicals.