Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol.39, No.1, 86-95, January, 2022
Hydrodynamics of co-current downward liquid-liquid system with packing
The effect of packing and its voidage on the hydrodynamic characteristics of co-current downward liquidliquid system (CCDLLS) was studied using water and three different oils (exxsol, kerosene and white oil). Two flow regimes, homogeneously dispersed oil regime and heterogeneously dispersed oil, were observed with the total pressure drop showing a minimum at the regime transition velocity. Depending on the packing, frictional pressure drop either shows a minimum or monotonically increases with water velocity. Low-density oil results in higher holdup and correspondingly higher frictional pressure drop. Higher dispersed phase holdup is obtained by using a low voidage packing. Semi-empirical/empirical equations are proposed to predict the frictional pressure drop and phase holdup.
- Babu PSKC, Kundu G, Mukherjee D, Indian J. Chem. Technol., 6(5), 243 (1999)
- Liu L, Matar O, Lawrence J, Hewitt G, Che. Eng. Sci., 61, 4007 (2006)
- Hu B, Angeli P, Can. J. Chem. Eng., 84(1), 94 (2006)
- Ghosh S, Das G, Das PK, J. Fluids Eng., 133, 011202 (2011)
- Samdavid S, Renganathan T, Krishnaiah K, RSC Adv., 6, 12439 (2016)
- Samdavid S, Cocurrent downward liquid-liquid system: Hydrodynamics and mixing characteristics, Ph.D. thesis, IIT Madras (2017).
- Sallaly M, Reynier JP, Che. Eng. Sci., 25, 1709 (1970)
- Motil BJ, Balakotaiah V, Kamotani Y, AIChE J., 49(3), 557 (2003)