Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.97, 402-410, May, 2021
Behavior of fluorine coatings on steel bridges at different temperatures upon exposure to a direct heat source
Protective coatings are commonly used for the corrosion protection of steel structures. To protect steel bridges from weather and unexpected damage (e.g., fires or explosions), fluorine-based coatings are commonly applied as a top layer. Although the safety of infrastructure should be considered via risk assessment and maintenance, few studies have been conducted on the degradation of organic coatings under harsh environments and accidental events. Therefore, we examined the effect of direct heat exposure on organic (fluorine-based) coatings. To simulate the conditions produced by an explosion, specimens were subjected to surface temperatures of 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 °C for 10 s through direct exposure to heat. Surface changes to the post-exposure fluorine coats were characterized using Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy, nanoindentation, gloss, color differentiation, laser microscopy, and thermogravimetric analysis. Overall characterization of the coatings through electrochemical impedance spectroscopy revealed that surface changes began to occur at 300 °C and detachment of the bulk coating occurred at 400 °C or higher. Our results successfully clarify the behavior of fluorine coatings under different temperatures to a degree that is relevant to critical public safety issues in civil infrastructure.
Keywords:Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy;Fluorine coating,Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy;Heat damage;Nanoindentation;Thermogravimetric analysis
- Sangaj NS, Malshe VC, Prog. Org. Coat., 50, 28 (2004)
- Shin AS, Shon MY, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 16(6), 884 (2010)
- Wypych G, Handbook of Material Weathering, Chemtec Publishing, Toronto, p.409 2018.
- Munekata S, Prog. Org. Coat., 16, 113 (1988)
- Parker R, Blankenship K, Prot. Org. Coat, 5B, 88 (2015)
- Kooistra FB, Runhaar B, Danoux C, Kasahara K, Takayanagi T, OP Conf. Series: Mater. Sci. Eng. 419, 011001 (2018).
- Han LJ, Huo JS, J. Struct. Eng., 129, 1 (2003)
- Khoury GA, Prog. Struct. Eng. Mater., 2, 429 (2000)
- Quiel SE, Marjanishvili SM, J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 26, 402 (2012)
- Hou XM, Ren PF, Rong Q, Zheng WZ, Zhan Y, Compos. Struct., 209, 219 (2019)
- Du Y, Zhu Y, Jiang J, Li GQ, Thin-Walled Struct., 138, 231 (2019)
- Santiago A, Simoes da Silva L, Vaz G, Real PV, Lopes AG, Steel Compos. Struct, 8, 243 (2008)
- Ullah S, Ahmad F, Al-Sehemi AG, Assiri MA, Raza MR, Irfan A, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. (2021).
- Wang L, Chen B, Zhang C, Li G, Fire Mater., 43, 782 (2019)
- Ye YW, Liu ZY, Liu W, Zhang DW, Zhao HC, Wang LP, Li XG, Chem. Eng. J., 348, 940 (2018)
- Ye Y, Chena H, Zou Y, Zhao H, J. Mater. Sci. Technol., 67, 226 (2021)
- Ye Y, Chena H, Zou Y, Ye Y, Zhao H, Corrosion Sci., 174, 108825 (2020)
- Ye Y, Zhang D, Liu T, Liu Z, Pu WJ, Liu W, Zhao H, Li X, Wang L, Carbon, 142, 164 (2019)
- Bard AJ, Stratmann M, Frankel GS, Corrosion and Oxide Films, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, p.500 2003.
- Cano E, Lafuente D, Bastidas DM, J. Solid State Electrochem., 14, 381 (2010)
- Sekine I, Prog. Org. Coat., 31, 73 (1997)
- Margarit-Mattos ICP, Electrochim. Acta, 354, 136725 (2020)
- Liu J, Tang J, Wang X, Wu D, RSC Adv., 2, 5789 (2012)
- Sigma Aldrich, IR Spectrum Table & Chart, (2020).
- Lee JS, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 97(5), 2054 (2005)
- Liu SE, Zhou WL, Yan QL, Qi XF, An T, Perez-Maqueda LA, Zhao FQ, J. Therm. Anal. Calorim., 128, 675 (2017)
- Lappan U, Fuchs B, Geissler U, Scheler U, Lunkwitz K, Polymer, 43(16), 4325 (2002)
- Oliver WC, Pharr GM, J. Mater. Res., 7, 1564 (1992)
- Tavares AC, Gulmine JV, Lepienski CM, Akcelrud L, Polym. Degrad. Stab., 81, 367 (2003)
- Gibson RF, Compos. Sci. Technol., 105, 51 (2014)
- Zhong B, Shen L, Zhang X, Li C, Bao N, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 138, 49689 (2021)
- Li C, Hu Y, Zhang J, Shen L, Bao N, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 137, 48936 (2020)
- Gray LG, Appleman BR, J. Prot. Coat. Linings, 20, 66 (2003)
- Waters N, Connolly R, Brown D, Laskowski B, Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, p.1 (2014).