Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.93, 415-422, January, 2021
Coalescence behavior of aqueous drops in water-in-oil emulsions under high-frequency pulsed AC fields
High-frequency pulsed alternating current field (HFPACF) has attracted attentions owing to its excellent performances of eliminating short circuit, saving energy and reducing environmental pollution. To study the coalescence mechanism of aqueous drops in water-in-oil (W/O) emulsions under HFPACF, micro-behavior of dispersed drops for W/O emulsion was monitored by using a self-designed micro-visual model and coalescence mechanism was analyzed by discussing effects of pulse amplitude, pulse frequency, pulse width ratio, demulsifier concentration, aqueous mass ratio of emulsion, and different model oil emulsions. The results show that the dispersed drops coalesce under the action of electric field, and the particle size of dispersed drops increases with the increase of pulse frequency and amplitude. When the pulse frequency or amplitude reach to a critical value, aqueous drops are driven to form water string or water channel between two electrodes which hinders further drops coalescence in other areas. However, with the increase of pulse width ratio, the size of dispersed drops increases slowly. The optimum pulse frequency and pulse amplitude are obtained at 3.9 kV and 4.21 kHz, respectively, the optimal pulse width range is 54.9%-84.4%. When the concentration of demulsifier is 60 mg/L, the synergistic demulsification effect achieves the highest performance. When the aqueous mass ratio of emulsion reaches a high level (over 30%), which means the drops in emulsion have big size, the coalescence performance under the same electric field strength is great. Also, it is discovered that the dispersed drops in Yongping model oil emulsion have difficulty in forming water chains, since there are much asphaltenes and resins in the water-oil interface leading to high strength of film. For Shuanghe oil emulsion drops are prevented from coalescing, because it contains a mass of paraffin, which can stabilize emulsion at low temperature.
Keywords:High-Frequency pulsed alternating current;field;Dispersed;Water drops;Water channel;Crude oil emulsion;Demulsifier
- Zolfaghari R, Fakhru'l-Razi A, Abdullah LC, Elnashaie SSEH, Pendashteh A, Sep. Purif. Technol., 170, 377 (2016)
- Saad MA, Kamil M, Abdurahman NH, Yunus RM, Awad OI, Processes, 7, 470 (2019)
- Carneiro GF, Silva RC, Barbosa LL, Freitas JCC, Sad CMS, Tose LV, Vaz BG, Romao W, de Castro EVR, Neto AC, Lacerda V, Fuel, 140, 762 (2015)
- Mhatre S, Simon S, Sjoblom J, Xu ZH, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 134, 117 (2018)
- Noik C, Chen JQ, Dalmazzone C, Electrostatic demulsification on crude oil: a state-of-the-art review, Beijing, China, (2006).
- Liu J, Huang XF, Lu LJ, Li MX, Xu JC, Deng HP, J. Hazard. Mater., 190(1-3), 214 (2011)
- Gray NCC, Stewart AL, Cairns WL, Kosaric N, Biotechnology Letters, 6, 1984
- Stewart AL, Gray NCC, Cairns WL, Kosaric N, Biotechnology Letters, 5, 725 (1984)
- Yi M, Huang J, Wang L, J. Chem., 1 (2017).
- Kang WL, Liu SR, Xu B, Wang XZ, Zhang BT, Bai BJ, Petroleum Science and Technology, 31, 572 (2013).
- Kwon WR, Park K, Han SD, Yoon SM, Kim JY, Bae W, Rhee YW, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 16(5), 684 (2010)
- Lesaint C, Glomm WR, Lundgaard LE, Sjoblom J, Colloids Surf. A: Physicochem. Eng. Asp., 352, 63 (2009)
- Sun Y, Yang D, He L, Luo X, Lu Y, Chem. Eng. Sci., 208, 115136 (2019)
- Xu J, Li B, Sun Z, Wang Z, Liu B, Zhang M, Colloids Surf. A: Physicochem. Eng. Asp., 567, 260 (2019)
- Hosseini M, Ebadi AG, Asian J. Chem., 21, 707 (2009)
- Zhang J, Kang Y, Petroleum Science and Technology, 36, 1058 (2018).
- Eow JS, Ghadiri M, Sharif A, Journal of Electrostatics, 51, 463 (2001).
- Li D, Wang T, Chen S, Liu Q, Xie Y, Liu C, Microgravity Science and Technology (2020) online.
- Gong H, Yu B, Peng Y, Dai F, J. Dispersion Sci. Technol., 40, 1236 (2019)
- Zhang Y, Liu Y, Ji R, Colloids Surf. A: Physicochem. Eng. Asp., 373, 130 (2011)
- Li Q, Chen J, Liang M, Pan Z, Kang K, J. Dispersion Sci. Technol., 36, 918 (2015)
- Hjartnes TN, Mhatre S, Gao B, Sørland GH, Simon S, J. Sjoblom, 586, 124188 (2020)
- Yang HB, Shao S,Zhu T, Chen C, Liu S, Zhou B, Hou X, Zhang Y, Kang W, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 79, 295 (2019)