Korean Journal of Materials Research, Vol.30, No.10, 522-532, October, 2020
카본블랙 첨가량에 따른 인산형 연료전지(PAFC) 분리판용 천연흑연-고분자복합재료의 전기비저항
Electrical Resistivity of Natural Graphite/Polymer Composite based Bipolar Plates for Phosphoric Acid Fuel Cells by Addition of Carbon Black
Conductive polymer composites with high electrical and mechanical properties are in demand for bipolar plates of phosphoric acid fuel cells (PAFC). In this study, composites based on natural graphite/fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP) and different ratios of carbon black are mixed and hot formed into bars. The overall content of natural graphite is replaced by carbon black (0.2 wt% to 3.0 wt%). It is found that the addition of carbon black reduces electrical resistivity and density. The density of composite materials added with carbon black 3.0 wt% is 2.168 g/cm3, which is 0.017 g/cm3 less than that of non-additive composites. In-plane electrical resistivity is 7.68 μΩm and through-plane electrical resistivity is 27.66 μΩm. Compared with non-additive composites, in-plane electrical resistivity decreases by 95.7 % and through-plane decreases by 95.9 %. Also, the bending strength is about 30 % improved when carbon black is added at 2.0 wt% compared to non-additive cases. The decrease of electrical resistivity of composites is estimated to stem from the carbon black, which is a conductive material located between melted FEP and acts a path for electrons; the increasing mechanical properties are estimated to result from carbon black filling up pores in the composites.
- Park SJ, Carbon Materials: Principles and Applications, p. 257, Daeyeongsa (2006).
- Kim MJ, Jin CK, Kang CG, Proc. IME. B J. Eng. Manufact., 229, 1976 (2015)
- Lettenmeier P, Wang R, Abouatallah R, Saruhan B, Freitag O, Gazdzicki P, Morawietz T, Hiesgen R, Gago AS, Friedrich KA, Sci. Rep., 7, 1 (2017)
- Lim JW, Kim MK, Lee DG, Korean Soc. Compos. Mater., 29, 243 (2016)
- Cho EA, Jeon US, Hong SA, Oh IH, Kang SG, J. Power Sources, 142(1-2), 177 (2005)
- Kang KM, Park SH, Kim JS, Ji HJ, Ju HC, Korean Hydrogen and New Energy Soc., 23, 134 (2012).
- Mary N, Augustine C, Joseph S, Heartson S, IJAREEIE, 5, 5488 (2016)
- Yoon YH, Lim SH, Kim DH, J. Korea Academia-Ind. cooperation Soc., 11, 1361 (2010).
- Kim JH, Korean Hydrogen and New Energy Soc., 22, 409 (2011).
- Dhungana B, Son YG, Polymer, 43, 188 (2019)
- Lee JH, Jang YK, Hong CE, Kim NH, Li P, Lee HK, J. Power Sources, 193(2), 523 (2009)
- Villmow T, Potschke P, Pegel S, Haussler L, Kretzschmar B, Polymer, 49(16), 3500 (2008)
- Lim JW, Compos. Res., 32, 222 (2019)
- Lee HK, Han KS, Trans. Korean Hydrogen New Energy Soc., 31, 49 (2020)
- Lee SM, Beak UG, Kim TJ, Roh JS, Korean J. Mater. Res., 27(12), 664 (2017)
- Maheshwari PH, Mathur RB, Dhami TL, J. Power Sources, 173(1), 394 (2007)
- Kim YM, An KL, Kim C, Choi YO, Park SH, Yang KS, Lee WE, Carbon Lett., 1, 22 (2000)
- Pimenta MA, Dresselhaus G, Dresselhaus MS, Cancado LG, Jorio A, Saito R, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 9, 1276 (2007)
- Li L, Li W, Ge J, Wu Y, Jiang S, Liu F, J. Sep. Sci., 31, 3588 (2008)
- Mathur RB, Dhakate SR, Gupta DK, Dhami TL, Aggarwal RK, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 203, 184 (2008)
- Kim JK, Rubber Soc. Korea, 33, 355 (1996)