Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol.37, No.5, 850-865, May, 2020
Separation of methanol-chloroform mixture using pressure-swing distillation: Modeling and optimization
The separation of methanol-chloroform mixture, a minimum-boiling azeotrope, is performed using pressure- swing distillation process via process simulation. In this study, the steady-state optimization was carried out using PRO/II with PROVISION v.10. The two different column configurations (low-to-high pressure and high-to-low pressure) were compared wherein the positions of the low-pressure column and high-pressure column were operated interchangeably to attain an optimized design. Additionally, different heat-integration configurations (partial heat- and full heat-integration) were applied to lessen the overall utility consumption. It was determined that the low-to-high pressure column configuration provided a more optimized result for all heat-integrated systems as compared to high-tolow pressure column configuration. Application of heat-integration further decreases the cooling water and steam consumption by 38.86% and 35.74%, respectively, for partial heat-integrated system, and by 44.58% and 41.01%, respectively, for full heat-integrated system.
Keywords:Pressure-swing Distillation;Vapor-liquid Equilibrium;Methanol-chloroform;Minimum-boiling Azeotrope;Process Simulation
- Schengrund CL, Kovac P, J. Lipid Res., 40, 160 (1999)
- Row KH, Jin YZ, Bioresour. Technol., 97(5), 790 (2006)
- Van Kaam R, Rodriguez-Donis I, Gerbaud V, Chem. Eng. Sci., 63(1), 78 (2008)
- Kang HJ, Kim JH, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 36(12), 1965 (2019)
- Gmehling J, Menke J, Krafczyk J, Fischer K, Fontaine JC, Kehiaian HV, Handbook of chemistry and physics, 92th Ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton (2005).
- Dean JA, Physical properties. Lange’s handbook of chemistry, 15th Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York (1999).
- Langston P, Hilal N, Shingfield S, Webb S, Chem. Eng. Process., 44(3), 345 (2005)
- Wang Y, Bu G, Wang Y, Zhao Z, Zhu Z, Comput. Chem. Eng., 95, 97 (2016)
- Hosgor E, Kucuk T, Oksal IN, Kaymak DB, Comput. Chem. Eng., 67, 166 (2014)
- Lei Z, Chen B, Ding Z, Special distillation processes, Elsevier, Amsterdam (2005).
- Li QS, Cao L, Zhang YX, Liu PP, Wang BH, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 59(2), 234 (2014)
- Hiaki T, Kurihara K, Kojima K, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 39(4), 714 (1994)
- Vasil’eva II, Marinichev AN, Susarev MP, Deposited Doc. VINITI, 3400-83 (1983).
- Nagata I, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 7, 367 (1962)
- Fulgueras AM, Poudel J, Kim DS, Cho J, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 33(1), 46 (2016)
- Lee J, Cho J, Kim DM, Park S, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 28(2), 591 (2011)
- Gao X, Yin X, Yang S, Yang D, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 36(1), 77 (2019)
- Luyben WL, Chien I, Design and control of distillation systems for separating azeotropes, Hoboken, New Jersey (2010).
- Luyben WL, Distillation design and control using aspen simulation, 2nd Ed., Hoboken, New Jersey (2013).
- Cho J, Jeon JK, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 23(1), 1 (2006)