Macromolecular Research, Vol.27, No.11, 1081-1088, November, 2019
Cytotoxicity and In Vivo Biosafety Studies of the Poly(alkylphenol) Derivatives as Vulcanizing Agents
In this research, studies of mechanical properties, in vitro cytotoxicity, and in vivo biological safety of compounded rubber samples that contained various novel vulcanizing agents derived from poly(alkylphenol) disulfide were investigated to evaluate the possibility of clinical application. From tensile test results, every compounded rubber sample showed improved elongation properties compared to the reference. In MTT and ALP assays, every compounded rubber sample showed non-cytotoxic levels compared to the control sample containing inorganic sulfur as the vulcanizing agent. The cell viability and activity were comparable to those of the control sample even at extract concentrations up to 10%. In the animal model test, no compounded rubber sample showed any other biological response during implantation for 4 weeks, and the skin sensitization test results indicated lack of sensitivity response (Grades 0 and I).
- Morawetz H, Rubber Chem. Technol., 73, 405 (2000)
- Morton M, J. Macromol. Sci. Part A, 15, 1289 (1981)
- Chen Q, Liang S, Thouas GA, Prog. Polym. Sci, 38, 584 (2013)
- Nikolaev OO, Urhanov VB, Britov VP, Babaev AD, Bogdanov VV, Mirzadeh H, Iran Polym. J., 10, 9 (2001)
- Cao LY, Taylor JS, Sood A, Murray D, Siegel PD, Arch. Dermatol., 149, 1001 (2010)
- Knuksen BB, Hametner C, Seycek O, Heese A, Koch HU, Peters KP, Contact Derm., 43, 9 (2000)
- Fajen JM, Carson GA, Rounbehler DP, Fan TY, Vita R, Goff UE, Wolf MH, Edwards GS, Fine DH, Reinhold V, Biemann K, Science, 205, 1262 (1979)
- Lijinsky W, Mol Toxicol., 1, 107 (1987)
- Fiddler W, Pensabene JW, Kimoto WI, Am. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J., 46, 463 (1985)
- Chon JW, Lee JY, Song YJ, Kim JH, Chung DJ, Biomater. Res., 20, 30 (2016)
- Dick JS, Rubber Technology . Compounding and Testing for Performance, Hanser (2009).
- Rooj S, Basak GC, Maji PK, Bhowmick AK, J. Polym. Environ., 19, 382 (2011)
- Rodgers B, Solis S, Tambe N, Sharma BB, Rubber Chem. Technol., 81, 600 (2008)
- ISO 10993-5. International Standard. 3rd ed. (2009).
- Zhang H, Datta RN, Talma AG, Lu K, Loos J, Noordermeer WJM, Macromol. Mater. Eng., 295, 76 (2010)
- ASTM D 412, ASTM International, West Conshohocken (2016).
- Wu H, Zhu L, Torchilin VP, Biomaterials, 34, 1213 (2013)
- Decherchi P, Cochard P, Gauthier P, J. Neurosci. Methods, 71, 205 (1997)
- Kwon JH, Park HC, Zhu T, Yang HC, Biomater. Res., 19, 8 (2015)
- Ariffin SHZ, Kermani S, Wahab PMA, Senafi S, Ariffin ZZ, Razak MA, Scientific. World J., 2012, 7 (2012)
- Dapson R, Horobin RW, Kiernan J, Biotech. Histochem., 85, 55 (2010)
- OECD Guideline for Testing of Chemical No. 406, OECD (1992).
- Witte F, Abeln I, Switzer E, Kaese V, Mayer-Lindenberg A, Windhagen H, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A., 85, 1041 (2008)
- Hwang CJ, Cha JY, Am. J. Orthod. Dentofacial. Orthop., 124, 379 (2003)
- Li W, Zhou J, Xu Y, Biomed. Rep., 3, 617 (2015)
- Prasad RGSV, Oungbho K, Asian J. Pharm., 12, 19 (2018)