Korean Chemical Engineering Research, Vol.57, No.5, 652-665, October, 2019
Analytical Solutions of Unsteady Reaction-Diffusion Equation with Time-Dependent Boundary Conditions for Porous Particles
Analytical solutions of the reactant concentration inside porous spherical catalytic particles were obtained from unsteady reaction-diffusion equation by applying eigenfunction expansion method. Various surface concentrations as exponentially decaying or oscillating function were considered as boundary conditions to solve the unsteady partial differential equation as a function of radial distance and time. Dirac delta function was also used for the instantaneous injection of the reactant as the surface boundary condition to calculate average reactant concentration inside the particles as a function of time by Laplace transform. Besides spherical morphology, other geometries of particles, such as cylinder or slab, were considered to obtain the solution of the reaction-diffusion equation, and the results were compared with the solution in spherical coordinate. The concentration inside the particles based on calculation was compared with the bulk concentration of the reactant molecules measured by photocatalytic decomposition as a function of time.
Keywords:Porous particles;Reaction diffusion equation;Eigenfunction expansion;Laplace transform;Time-dependent boundary conditions
- Weisz PB, Hicks JS, Chem, Eng. Sci., 50(24), 3951 (1995)
- Chen D, Wang L, Ma Y, Yang W, NPG Asia Mater., 8, e301 (2016)
- Pera-Titus M, Chem. Rev., 114(2), 1413 (2014)
- Vu A, Qian Y, Stein A, Adv. Eng. Mater., 2(9), 1056 (2012)
- Levenspiel, O., Chemical Reaction Engineering, 3rd ed., Wiley (1998).
- Cho YS, Oh IA, Jung NR, J. Dispersion Sci. Technol., 37(5), 676 (2016)
- Li L, Ma W, Transport Porous Media, 89(1), 35 (2011)
- Ha SJ, Kim DH, Moon JH, RSC Advances, 5(95), 77716 (2015)
- Cho YS, Moon JW, Arch. Metall. Mater., 62(2), 1371 (2017)
- Garg M, Manohar P, Kuwait J. Sci., 40(1), 23 (2013)
- Kim DH, Lee J, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 29(1), 42 (2012)
- Cho W, Lee J, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 30(3), 580 (2013)
- Versypt ANF, Arendt PD, Pack DW, Braatz RD, Plos. One., 10, e01355 (2015)
- Jiang X, Ward TL, Cheng YS, Liu J, Brinker CJ, Chem. Commun., 46(17), 3019 (2010)
- Wu SH, Mou CY, Lin HP, Chem. Soc. Rev., 42(9), 3862 (2013)
- Blaszczynski T, Slosarczyk A, Morawski M, Procedia Eng., 57, 200 (2013)
- Kim NH, Hwang HS, Park I, Appl. Chem. Eng., 22(2), 209 (2011)
- Cho YS, Shin CH, Kor. J. Chem. Eng., 34(2), 555 (2017)
- Choi J, Yoo KS, Kim J, Kor. J. Chem. Eng., 35(12), 2480 (2018)
- Cho YS, Roh SH, J. Dispersion Sci. Technol., 39(1), 33 (2017)
- Cho YS, Korean J. Met. Mater., 55(4), 264 (2017)
- Fogler HS, Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering, 5th ed., Pearson Education, Inc. (2016).
- Frisch HL, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 153(1), 292 (1992)
- Saito K, Muso H, Agree to Partial Differential Equation, 1st ed., Kodansha(2005).
- Pan T, Zhu B, Chem. Eng. Sci., 53.(5), 933 (1998)
- Ramirez-Ortiza J, Ogura T, Medina-Valtierra J, Acosta-Ortiz SE, Bosch P, de los Reyes JA, Lara VH, Appl. Surf. Sci., 174(3-4), 177 (2001)
- Rice RG, Do DD, Applied Mathematics and Modeling for Chemical Engineers, 1st ed., Wiley (1995).
- Cho YS, J. Dispersion Sci. Technol., 377(1), 23 (2016)
- Chang H, Jang HD, Adv. Powder Technol., 25(1), 32 (2014)
- Zhang J, Liu XH, Wang SR, Wu SH, Cao BQ, Zheng SH, Powder Technol., 217, 585 (2012)
- Milozic N, Lubej M, Novak U, Znidarsic-Plazl P, Plazl I, Chem. Biochem. Eng. Q., 28(2), 125 (2014)
- Munjal G, Dwivedi G, Bhaskarwar N, Int. Proc. Chem. Biol. Environ. Eng., 90, 82 (2015)
- Choi SK, Kim DJ, Shin SC, So MG, Kim KS, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 40, 516 (2002)