Applied Chemistry for Engineering, Vol.30, No.4, 466-471, August, 2019
물벼룩을 이용한 산업방류수 중 1,4-다이옥산 및 디클로로메탄의 생태독성평가
Ecotoxicity Assessment of 1,4-Dioxane and Dichloromethane in Industrial Effluent Using Daphnia magna
1,4-다이옥산과 디클로로메탄은 국제암연구기관(International Agency for Research on Cancer)에서 발암가능그룹으로 분류하고 있으며, 산업폐수 방류수에서 고농도로 빈번하게 배출되고 있다. 산업폐수 방류수에 대한 물벼룩의 24 h 급성 독성평가에서 7.53 mg/L의 1,4-다이옥산농도에서 1.1 TU (toxic unit)로 배출허용기준(1.0 TU)에 근접한 값을 나타내었으며, 혼합폐수의 경우, 단일물질에 비해 상대적으로 높은 TU 값을 나타내었다. 실험실에서 제조된 합성폐수로부터 1,4-다이옥산 및 디클로로메탄의 24 h 반수영향농도(EC50)값은 각각 1,744 (0.06 TU), 170 mg/L (0.6 TU)로 TU 값이 매우 낮았으며, 1,4-다이옥산 100 ppm에 디클로로메탄 1, 5, 10 ppm을 첨가한 혼합물질의 독성평가결과, TU 값이 0.02, 0.04, 0.10으로 증가하여 두 물질 간 상승작용이 나타났다. 그러나 1,4-다이옥산 및 디클로로메탄에 대한 합성폐수의TU 값은 비슷한 농도에서 산업폐수의 TU 값보다 5% 이하로 나타났다.
1,4-dioxane and dichloromethane are classified as carcinogenic groups in the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). They are frequently released at high concentrations in an industrial wastewater effluent. The acute toxicity (24 h) of Daphnia magna for 7.53 mg/L of 1,4-dioxane in the industrial effluent was evaluated as 1.1 TU (toxic unit) and showed TU close to the effluent quality standard. Mixed substances of 1,4-dioxane and dichloromethane in the industrial effluent showed relatively high TU as compared to that of a single substance. Half maximal effective concentration (24 h EC50) values of 1,4-dioxane and dichloromethane for the synthetic wastewater prepared in laboratory were 1,744 (0.06 TU) and 170 mg/L (0.6 TU), respectively and the toxicity was low. Nevertheless the toxicological evaluation of the mixture showed that TU values increased to 0.02, 0.04 and 0.10, respectively as 1, 5 and 10 ppm of dichloromethane was added to 100 ppm of 1,4-dioxane. And the synergistic effect was observed between two substances. But the TU value of synthetic wastewater was below 5%, lower than that of industrial effluent at the similar concentration.
- Jung YC, Research Report, Ministry of Environment, Korea (2002).
- Geis SW, Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 19, 36 (2000)
- Kim JH, et al., Research Report NIER-RP2012-188, National Institute of Environmental Research, Korea (2012).
- Yoo K, Lim B, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 25, 340 (2003)
- Sell NJ, Industrial Pollution Control Issues and Techniques, pp. 14-17, Von Nostrand Reinhold, NY, USA (1992).
- Min S, J. Korean Soc. Civil Eng., 20, 421 (2000)
- Jeong J, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 10, 293 (2001)
- Cho S, Acute and Chronic Toxic Test of Insecticides in Daphnia magna, (1999).
- Kim S, Bioassay of Industrial Effluent Using the Water Flea (Daphnia magna) and Bioluminescent Bacteria (Vibrio fischeri), (2006).
- Lee J, Anal. Sci. Technol., 21, 383 (2008)
- Choi S, J. Toxicol. Public Health, 18, 99 (2002)
- Woo D, J. Environ. Health Sci., 44, 548 (2018)
- Seo E, J. Korean Soc. Urban Environ., 18, 87 (2018)
- Lee SH, Lee HS, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 23, 1269 (2014)
- Korea Ministry of Environment, Chemical emissions survey report (2014).
- Backhaus T, Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 19, 2348 (2000)
- International Standard Organization, Water quality determination of the inhibitory effect of water samples on the light emission of Vibrio fischeri, ISO Standard 11348 (1998).
- Park S, Kim T, Anal. Sci. Technol., 18, 173 (2005)
- Nam J, Comparison Study on the Ecotoxicity Tests of Organic Materials by Using Algae, MSc Dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea (2017).
- US EPA, IRIS (Integrated Risk Information System), http://www.epa.gov/iris (2006).
- US EPA, Ecotox database, http://cfpub.epa.gov/ecotox (2010).
- Park D, Bae H, J. Environ. Sci., 20, 811 (2011)
- Kamrin MA, Pesticide Profiles : Toxicity, Environmental Impact and Fate, pp. 620-627, Lewis Publishers Boca Raton, FL, USA (1997).
- Rioux JP, Myers RA, J. Emerg. Med, 6, 227 (1988)
- Kim Y, Safety test of synthetic chemicals, Research Report, pp. 90-107, Ministry of Environment, Korea (1988).
- Rider CV, Toxicol. Sci., 87, 520 (2005)
- Lee J, J. Environ. Toxicol., 11, 27 (2007)
- Anders E, Environ. Biol., 6-38 (2005).