Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.73, 47-51, May, 2019
Accelerating the stabilization of polyacrylonitrile fibers by UV irradiation
Commercial polyacrylonitrile (PAN) fibers, widely used as carbon fiber precursors, were treated with ultraviolet (UV) light without any photo-initiators and its effects on the structural changes of PAN were investigated. Easily accessible UV irradiation produced free radicals by breaking the C- H bonding in PAN, leading to reducing cyclization temperature and activation energy. Dynamic mechanical analysis indicated a decrease in storage modulus of PAN fibers with increasing UV irradiation time below glass transition temperature. It is suggested that UV irradiation and the subsequent thermal treatment could offer an efficient stabilization by reducing the cyclization temperature and process time.
Keywords:Polyacrylonitrile;Ultraviolet irradiation;Stabilization;Thermal properties;Dynamic mechanical analysis
- Morgan P, Carbon Fibers and Their Composites, CRC Press, 2005.
- Gupta A, Harrison IR, Carbon, 34, 1427 (1996)
- Jung KH, Nam S, Kang SS, Ku BC, Bang YH, Hwang JY, Carbon Lett., 21, 103 (2017)
- Choi D, Kil HS, Lee S, Carbon, 142, 610 (2018)
- Sedghi A, Farsani RE, Shokuhfar A, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 198, 60 (2008)
- Baker DA, Rials TG, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 130(2), 713 (2013)
- Rahaman MSA, Ismail AF, Mustafa A, Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 92, 1421 (2007)
- Park S, Yoo SH, Kang HR, Jo SM, Joh HI, Lee S, Sci. Rep., 6, 27330 (2016)
- Pappas SP, Radiation Curing: Science and Technology, Springer Science & Business Media, New York, 2013.
- Morales MS, Ogale AA, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 130(4), 2494 (2013)
- Morales MS, Ogale AA, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 131, 40823 (2014)
- Park OK, Lee S, Joh HI, Kim JK, Kang PH, Lee JH, Ku BC, Polymer, 53(11), 2168 (2012)
- Arbab S, Zeinolebadi A, Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 98, 2537 (2013)
- Arbab S, Zeinolebadi A, Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 139, 107 (2017)
- Yoo SH, Park S, Park Y, Lee D, Joh HI, Shin I, Lee S, Carbon, 118, 106 (2017)
- Kamweru PK, Ndiritu FG, Kinyanjui TK, Muthui ZW, Ngumbu RG, Odhiambo PM, J. Macromol. Sci. B, 51, 817 (2012)
- Lee S, Kim J, Ku BC, Kim J, Joh HI, Adv. Chem. Eng. Sci., 2, 275 (2012)
- Yu MJ, Wang CG, Bai YJ, Wang YX, Xu Y, Polym. Bull., 57(5), 757 (2006)
- Zussman E, Chen X, Ding W, Calabri L, Dikin DA, Quintana JP, Ruoff RS, Carbon, 43, 2175 (2005)
- Zhou ZP, Lai CL, Zhang LF, Qian Y, Hou HQ, Reneker DH, Fong H, Polymer, 50(13), 2999 (2009)