Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.71, 393-401, March, 2019
Effect of fatty acid-based anionic surfactants on the emulsion properties of self-emulsifying poly(ethylene-co-acrylic acid) waxes
Self-emulsifying polyethylene waxes (SE-PEA) were prepared by saponification of KOH with poly (ethylene-co-acrylic acid) (PEA) wax in the presence of surfactants. The viscosity, softening point and penetration of SE-PEA were compared according to the structure of surfactants. After simple preparation of the emulsions, the storage stability, particle size and accelerated stability were evaluated. Using the mixture of nonionic and unsaturated fatty acid emulsifiers, excellent emulsion stabilities and drop emulsion size of <3 mm were achieved. The emulsion of SE-PEA prepared using a fatty acid surfactant having unsaturated groups showed stable emulsion characteristics because of the double bond on hydrophobic chain.
- Elvers B, fifth ed., Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, vol. A28,Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, p.103 1999, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/star.19930450522.
- Richter E, Kiesel H, Use of polyolefin waxes as external lubricants and mold release agents in processing of plastics (Clariant GmbH, Germany) PCT WO 2001072855 (2001).
- Schmalzl DM, Nowicki HD, Use of polar-modified polyolefin waxes to improve adhesion of sealants to powder coatings, (Clariant GmbH,Germany)US Patent, US 2006111492 (2006).
- Napoli M, Vita RD, Immediata I, Longo P, Guerra G, Polym. Adv. Technol., 22, 458 (2011)
- Singh SK, Tambe SP, Samui AB, Raja VS, Kumar D, Prog. Org. Coat., 22, 20 (2006)
- Villarreal N, Pastor JM, Perera R, Rosales C, Merino JC, Macromol. Chem. Phys., 203, 238 (2002)
- Moad G, Prog. Polym. Sci, 24, 81 (1999)
- Robert L, Pierce R, The Printing Ink Manual, Springer Science+Business, 2012.
- Paik HJ, Gaynor SG, Matyjaszewski K, Macromol. Rapid Commun., 19(1), 47 (1998)
- Zimmer A, Kreuter J, Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev., 16, 61 (1995)
- Calvo P, Alonso MJ, Vita-Jato JL, Robinson JR, J. Pharm. Pharmacol., 48, 1147 (1996)
- Yoncheva K, Vandervoort J, Ludwig A, J. Microencapsul., 20(4), 449 (2003)
- Negm NA, Tawfik SM, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 20(6), 4463 (2014)
- Lee Y, Hahm YM, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 9(6), 713 (2003)
- ILNAS EN 14111:2003, Fat and Oil Derivatives-fatty Acid Methyl Esters (fame)- Determination of Iodine Value.
- ASTM D1986-14, Standard Test Method for Determining the Apparent Viscosity of Polyethylene Wax.
- ASTM D36/D36M-14, Standard Test Method for Softening Point of Bitumen (Ring-and-Ball Apparatus).
- ASTM D1321-16a, Standard Test Method for Needle Penetration of Petroleum Waxes.
- ISO 13320:2009, Particle size analysis - Laser diffraction methods, (2009) .
- Detloff T, Sobisch T, Lerche D, Powder Technol., 174(1-2), 50 (2007)
- Sobisch T, Lerche D, Kuchler S, Chem. Preprint Arch., 6, 195 (2002)
- Ahmed NS, Nassar AM, Zaki NN, Gharieb HK, Petrol. Sci. Technol., 17, 553 (1999)
- Huang J, Xu J, Chen KM, Wang TS, Cui C, Wei XM, Zhang R, Li L, Guo XH, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 54(5), 1564 (2015)
- Riddick TM, Zeta-Meter, Inc, Control of Colloid Stability Through Zeta Potential: with a Closing Chapter on Its Relationship to Cardiovascular Disease, Zeta-meter, Inc., Livingston Pub. Co., 1968.
- White B, Banerjee S, O’Brien S, Turro NJ, Herman IP, J. Phys. Chem. C, 111, 13684 (2007)
- Bhadani A, Iwabata K, Sakai K, Koura S, Sakai H, Abe M, RSC Adv., 7, 10433 (2017)