Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.70, 462-471, February, 2019
A novel attach-and-release mineral scale control strategy: Laboratory investigation of retention and release of scale inhibitor on pipe surface
A novel “attach-and-release” approach has been experimentally evaluated as an alternative scale control strategy for pipe flow system. Phosphonate scale inhibitor was initially attached to calcium carbonate medium on the surface of the pipe. Subsequently, the retained inhibitor was released into the flowing fluid for scale control. A plug-flow tube reactor apparatus was adopted in laboratory studies. It shows that formation of calcium-inhibitor precipitate accounts for the attachment of inhibitor and brine chemistry can considerably impact the amount of inhibitor retained. This proposed strategy has the potential to be applied in a pipe flow system to control scale deposition threat.
- Becker JB, Corrosion and Scale Handbook, PennWell, Oklahoma, 1999.
- Tomaszewska B, Tyszer M, Desalination, 424, 102 (2017)
- Zhang Z, Zhang P, Li ZJ, Kan AT, Tomson MB, Energy Fuels, 32(8), 8348 (2018)
- Zhang P, Shen D, Ruan G, Kan AT, Tomson MB, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 45, 366 (2017)
- Kelland MA, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 50(9), 5852 (2011)
- Amjad Z, Demadis KD, Mineral Scales and Deposits: Scientific and Technological Approaches, Elsevier, 2015.
- Mullin JW, Crystallization, 4th edn, Butterworth-Heinemann, Woburn, 2001.
- Al-Roomi YM, Hussain KF, Ai-Rifaie M, Desalination, 375, 138 (2015)
- Zhang P, Kan AT, Tomson MB, Mineral Scales and Deposits: Scientific and Technological Approaches, Elsevier Publishing, 2015.
- Zhang L, Kim D, Jun YS, Environ. Sci. Technol., 52, 6042 (2018)
- Senthilmurugan B, Ghosh B, Sanker S, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 17(3), 415 (2011)
- Guo X, Qiu F, Dong K, Zhou X, Qi J, Zhou Y, Yang D, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 18(6), 2177 (2012)
- Dkhireche N, Dahami A, Rochdi A, Hmimou J, Touir R, Touhami ME, Bakri ME, Hallaoui AE, Anouar A, Takenouti H, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 19(6), 1996 (2013)
- Kelland MA, Production Chemicals for the Oil and Gas Industry, 2nd edn, CRC, Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2014.
- Tomson MB, Kan AT, Fu G, SPE J., 11, 283 (2006)
- Tomson MB, Kan AT, Fu G, Shen D, Nasr-El-Din HA, Al-Saiari H, Al-Thubaiti MA, SPE J., 13, 325 (2008)
- Kan AT, Fu GM, Tomson MB, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 281(2), 275 (2005)
- Zhang P, Zhang N, Liu Y, Lu YT, Kan AT, Tomson MB, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 137, 113 (2018)
- Stumm W, Morgan JJ, Aquatic Chemistry, 3rd edn, Wiley-Interscience, 1996.
- Tomson MB, Kan AT, Oddo JE, Langmuir, 10(5), 1442 (1994)
- Kan AT, Oddo JE, Tomson MB, Langmuir, 10(5), 1450 (1994)
- Barnett BL, Strickland LC, Acta Crystallogr. Sect. A, 35, 1212 (1979)
- Pairat R, Sumeath C, Browning FH, Fogler HS, Langmuir, 13(6), 1791 (1997)
- Browning FH, Fogler HS, Langmuir, 12(21), 5231 (1996)
- Zhang P, Shen D, Kan AT, Tomson MB, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 18, 21458 (2016)
- Dove PM, Hochella MF, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 57, 705 (1993)