Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol.36, No.1, 30-36, January, 2019
Synthesis of exo-tricyclopentadiene from endo-dicyclopentadiene over mesoporous aluminosilicate catalysts prepared from Y zeolite
A highly ordered mesoporous aluminosilicate (MMZY) was prepared by a top-down and bottom-up method using HY zeolite as a raw material. A pellet-type catalyst was prepared through extrusion using a twin-screw extruder. The effects of the Si/Al2 ratio of the HY zeolite used in the MMZY catalyst preparation on the physicochemical and acid properties of MMZY catalysts were investigated. The oligomerization of endo-dicyclopentadiene (endo- DCPD) was performed in a spinning basket reactor, and the deactivated catalyst was repeatedly regenerated to verify the possibility of reusing the catalyst. It was confirmed that ordered hexagonal arrays of mesopores were well developed in the MMZY(27) and MMZY(48) catalysts, whereas the mesoporous structure of the MMZY(6) and MMZY(12) materials with relatively large amounts of Al collapsed. As the Si/Al2 molar ratio of the MMZY catalyst was increased, the number of weak acid sites increased prominently and the acid strength decreased. MMZY(27) and MMZY(48) are more effective for the oligomerization of endo-DCPD to exo-tricyclopentadiene (exo-TCPD) compared to a microporous HY catalyst. This is attributed to the abundant acid sites and to the well-developed mesopore structure. Calcination in air was found to be effective for the regeneration of the deactivated MMZY pellet catalyst for synthesis of exo-TCPD from endo-DCPD.
- Chung HS, Chen CSH, Kremer RA, Boulton JR, Burdette GW, Energy Fuels, 13(3), 641 (1999)
- James RB, Ross AK, US Patent, 5,446,222 (1995).
- Joo HH, Kwon TS, Park CS, Han JS, J. Korean Soc. Propul. Eng., 16, 17 (2012)
- Xing E, Zhang X, Wang L, Mi Z, Catal. Commun., 6, 737 (2015)
- Xiong ZQ, Mi ZT, Zhang XW, React. Kinet. Catal. Lett., 85(1), 89 (2005)
- Wang L, Zhang XW, Zou JJ, Han H, Li YH, Wang L, Energy Fuels, 23, 2383 (2009)
- Li YH, Zou JJ, Zhang XW, Wang L, Mi ZT, Fuel, 89(9), 2522 (2010)
- Janoski EJ, Schneider A, Ware RE, US Patent, 4,086,286 (1978).
- Boulton JR, Kremer RA, US patent, 5,446,222 (1995).
- Zou JJ, Xu Y, Zhang XW, Wang L, Appl. Catal. A: Gen., 421, 79 (2012)
- Park ES, Han JS, Yim JH, Park YK, Jeon JK, Res. Chem. Intermed., 42, 47 (2016)
- Park ES, Kim JH, Yim JH, Han JS, Kwon TS, Park YK, Jeon JK, J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., 16, 4512 (2016)
- Kim MJ, Ryoo R, Chem. Mater., 11, 487 (1999)
- Zhao D, Feng J, Huo Q, Melosh N, Fredrickson GH, Chmelka BF, Stucky GD, Science, 23, 548 (1998)
- Kleitz F, Choi SH, Ryoo R, Chem. Commun., 25, 2136 (2003)
- Kim YJ, Kim JM, Stucky GD, Chem. Mater., 12, 2068 (2000)
- Kim J, Han J, Kwon TS, Park YK, Jeon JK, Catal. Today, 232, 69 (2014)
- Lee HI, Park HJ, Park YK, Hur JY, Jeon JK, Kim JM, Catal. Today, 132(1-4), 68 (2008)
- Jeon JK, Lee H, Yim JH, Kim YS, Lee SJ, Park YK, Shon JK, Kim JM, Catal. Lett., 119(1-2), 179 (2007)
- Albayati TM, Alwan GM, Mahdy OS, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 34(1), 259 (2017)
- Szegedi A, Konya Z, Mehn D, Solymar E, Pal-Borbely G, Horvath ZE, Biro LP, Kiricsi I, Appl. Catal. A: Gen., 272(1-2), 257 (2004)
- Kim SJ, Jeon JK, Han J, Yim JH, Appl. Chem. Eng., 27(2), 190 (2016)
- Kwak KY, Kim MS, Lee DW, Cho YH, Han JS, Kwon TS, Lee KY, Fuel, 237, 230 (2014)