Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.69, 90-98, January, 2019
Comparative adsorption.regeneration performance for newly developed carbonaceous adsorbent
A proprietary adsorbent material called Nyex 1000 was developed by the Arvia Technology Ltd. (UK based waste water treatment company). Nyex 1000 was being employed for a number of commercial applications dealing with the removal of organic contaminants from industrial effluents. This adsorbent material had small adsorptive capacity. With the aim to address small adsorptive capacity, a new graphite based adsorbent material was developed. The particle design was accomplished through successive chemical, thermal and mechanical treatments of raw graphite material (natural large flake graphite, to be called here as NLFG). The chemical treatment of the NLFG was carried out through electrochemical intercalation using dilute (50%) sulfuric acid in an electrochemical cell. Chemically treated NLFG then went through thermal treatment at 850 °C and followed by mechanical treatments consisting of compression (4536 kgfcm-2) and chopping at 18,000 rpm for 30 s. The developed adsorbent material, (exfoliated compacted graphite, to be called here as ECG) and NLFG were characterized using state of the art techniques including SEM, BET surface area, XRD, Zeta potential, Boehm surface titration, bed electrical conductivity and laser size analysis. The characterization results showed significant increase in internal specific surface area from 1 to 17 m2 g-1. It was attributed to the development of partially porous particle surface verified by SEM results. The XRD, Boehm surface titration, Zeta potential results endorsed the associated chemical and physical changes appeared in the composition of the NLFG as a result of chemical, thermal and mechanical treatments. Adsorption-regeneration studies were conducted using developed ECG and existing Nyex 1000 materials. The pollutants used for adsorption.regeneration studies were acid violet 17, phenol, humic acid, ethane thiol and methyl propane thiol dissolved in aqueous solution. The results were compared and it was found that ECG showed significantly improved adsorption capacity with many folds. Both adsorbent materials, ECG and Nyex 1000 delivered 100% electrochemical regeneration efficiencies.
Keywords:Electrochemical treatment;Thermal exfoliation;Mechanical treatment;Surface charge;Adsorption followed by electrochemical;regeneration
- Ghoreishi SM, Haghighi R, Chem. Eng. J., 95(1-3), 163 (2003)
- Paterniani JES, Ribeiro TAP, Mantovani MC, Anna MRS, Afr. J. Agric. Res., 5(11), 1256 (2010)
- Bratby J, Coagulation and Flocculation in Water and Wastewater Treatment, 2nd edition, London SW, 1H 0QS, UK, 2006.
- Sharma YC, Upadhyay USN, Gode F, J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Sanit., 4, 21 (2009)
- Sabio E, Gonzalez EJF, Ramiro A, Ganan J, Carbon, 42, 2285 (2004)
- Mohan D, Singh KP, Singh G, Kumar K, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 41(15), 3688 (2002)
- Zhou YY, Liu XC, Tang L, Zhang FF, Zeng GM, Peng XQ, Luo L, Deng YC, Pang Y, Zhang JC, J. Hazard. Mater., 333, 80 (2017)
- Zhou YY, Xiang YJ, He YZ, Yang Y, Zhang JC, Luo L, Peng H, Dai CH, Zhu F, Tang L, J. Hazard. Mater., 359, 396 (2018)
- Zhou Y, Liu X, Xiang Y, Wang P, Zhang J, Zhang F, Wei J, Luo L, Lei M, Tang L, J. Bio Resour. Technol, 245, 266 (2018)
- Lim JL, Okada M, Ultrason. Sonochem., 12(4), 277 (2005)
- Lu PJ, Lin HC, Yu WT, Chern JM, J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng., 42, 305 (2011)
- Lopes FVS, Grande CA, Rodrigues AE, Chem. Eng. Sci., 66(3), 303 (2011)
- Wang LZ, Balasubramanian N, Chem. Eng. J., 155(3), 763 (2009)
- Narbaitz RM, J. Cen, Water Res., 28(8), 1771 (1994)
- Brown NW, Adsorption and Electrochemical Regeneration for Waste Water Treatment, School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Sciences, 2005.
- Brown NW, Roberts EPL, J. Appl. Electrochem., 37(11), 1329 (2007)
- Brown NW, Roberts EPL, Garforth AA, Dryfe RAW, Water Sci. Technol., 49(4), 219 (2004)
- Brown NW, Roberts EPL, Chasiotis A, Cherdron T, Sanghrajaka N, Water Res., 38, 3067 (2004)
- Farbod S, Luke RG, Suresh M, Edward PLR, Water Res., 114, 237 (2017)
- Bouaziz I, Hamza M, Abdelhedi R, Savall A, Serrano KG, J. Water Environ. Nanotechnol., 2(1), 17 (2017)
- Kwame N, Edward PLR, Nigel WB, Stuart MH, Electrochim. Acta, 168, 568 (2014)
- Asghar HMA, Hussain SN, Sattar H, Brown NW, Roberts EPL, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 20(4), 2200 (2014)
- Asghar HMA, Hussain SN, Sattar H, Brown NW, Roberts EPL, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 20(4), 1936 (2014)
- Saleem M, Pirzada T, Qadeer R, Colloids Physicochem. Eng. Asp., 292(2-3), 246 (2007)
- Pierce Biotechnology Inc. (2004). Ellmans reagent user instructions. Retrieved from http://www.funakoshi.co.jp/data/datasheet/PCC/22582.pdf.
- Hartono T, Wang SB, Ma Q, Zhu ZH, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 333(1), 114 (2009)
- Hussain SN, Asghar HMA, Sattar H, Brown NW, Roberts EPL, J. Chem. Eng. Commun., 202(10), 1280 (2015)