Korean Chemical Engineering Research, Vol.56, No.4, 592-599, August, 2018
Experimental and Kinetic Studies of Esterification of Glycerol Using Combustion Synthesized SO4-2./CeO2-Al2O3
An increase in the global production of biodiesel has resulted in the newfound significance of its byproduct, glycerol. The synthesis of acetins is an economical avenue to enhance the value of glycerol derived from biodiesel. WE developed an eco-friendly process for the synthesis of fuel additives from glycerol using a mixed oxide SO4 2-/ CeO2- Al2O3 as catalyst. The CeO2- Al2O3 mixed oxide was synthesized by the combustion method and then sulfated. The characterization of the catalyst was by means of XRD, BET, FTIR, and SEM. The influence of temperature, mole ratio and catalyst loading on yield and selectivity of the acetins was studied for the esterification of glycerol. The reaction rate constants (k1, k2 and k3) were estimated using optimization method in MAT lab, and the activation energies (E1, E2 and E3) were determined by the Arrhenius equation. Furthermore, a kinetic model was developed.
- Sravanthi V, Archna N, Indraja S, Rao DS, Spoorthi S, “Catalytic Valorisation of Raw Glycerol Derived from Biodiesel:A Review,” Biofuels (2016).
- Luque R, Len C, Continuous flow transformations of glycerol to valuable products: an overview. Sust. Chem. Processes (2014).
- Diaz L, Borges ME, Renew. Sust. Energ. Rev., 16(5), 2839 (2012)
- Gui MM, Lee KT, Bhatia S, Energy, 33(11), 1646 (2008)
- Marchetti JM, Miguel VU, Errazu AF, Renew. Sust. Energ. Rev., 11(6), 1300 (2007)
- Zhou CH, Beltramini JN, Fana YX, Lu GQ, Chem. Soc. Rev., 3, 527 (2008)
- Brian H, Pachauri N, Paper presented at: American Society of Agricultural & Biological Engineers Anuual International Meeting, Portland, Oregon, 9-12 ( 2006).
- Gade SM, Munshi MK, Chherwalla BM, Rane VH, Kelkar AA, Catal Commun., 27, 184 (2012)
- Frusteri F, Arena F, Bonura B, Cannilla C, Spadaro L, Di BO, App. Cat A: Gen., 367, 77 (2009)
- Fernandez Y, Arenillas A, Diez MA, Pis JJ, Menendez JA, Fernandez Y, Diez MA, Menendez JA, J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis, 84, 124 (2009)
- Rahmat N, Abdullah AZ, Mohamed AR, Renew. Sust. Energ. Rev., 14(3), 987 (2010)
- Rao PV, Appa BV, Int. J. Energy Env., 3(4), 629 (2012)
- Mostashari A, Karegar M, Barzegar M, Mehdi G, J. Amer Oil Chem. Soc., 84(7), 681 (2007)
- Israel EW, Cat Today, 100, 79 (2005)
- Dal Bosco SM, Goncalves M, Carvalho WA, Galhardo T, Figueiredo, Flavia CA, Waste Biomass Valori., 7(5), 1 (2016)
- Lamas DG, Bacani R, Martins TS, Fantini MC, Fantini MCA, J. Alloy. Compd., 671, 396 (2016)
- Reddy PS, Sudarsanam P, Raju G, Reddy BM, J. Chem. Sci. Technol., 2(3), 161 (2013)
- Balaraju M, Nikhitha P, Jagadeeswaraiah K, Srilatha K, Prasad PSS, Lingaiah N, Fuel Process. Technol., 91(2), 249 (2010)
- Raju G, Reddy PS, Sudarsanam P, Reddy BM, Catal. Commun., 11(15), 1224 (2010)
- Khayoon MS, Hameed BH, Bioresour. Technol., 102(19), 9229 (2011)
- Sudarsanam P, Mallesham B, Reddy BS, J. Chem. Sci. Technol., 2(3), 161 (2013)
- Swetha S, Pandian M, Anand BH, Ganapati VS, RSC Advances, 5, 104354 (2015)
- Zhou LM, Nguyen TH, Adesina AA, Fuel Process. Technol., 104, 310 (2012)