Clean Technology, Vol.24, No.2, 119-126, June, 2018
Development of Treatment Process for Residual Coal from Biosolubilization
This study introduced a treatment process that was developed to treat Indonesian low-rank coal with high-ash content, which has the same characteristics as residual coal from the biosolubilization process. The treatment process includes separation of ash, solid-liquid separation, pelletizing, and drying. To reduce the ash content, flotation was performed using 4-methyl-2-pentanol (MIBC) as frother, and kerosene, waste oil, and cashew nut shell liquid (CNSL) as collectors. The increasing amount of collector had an effect on combustible coal recovery and ash reduction. After flotation, a filter press, extruder, and an oven drier were used to make a dried coal pellet. Then another coal pellet was made using asphalt as a binder. The compressive strength and friability of the coal pellets were tested and compared.
- Kim GY, Rhee YW, Park JH, Shun D, Bae DH, Shin JS, Ryu HJ, Park J, Clean Technol., 20(3), 321 (2014)
- World Coal Association, “Coal Facts 2014,” 2014. [Online]. Available: https://www.worldcoal.org/iea-publishes-latest-coalstatistics. (Accessed: Nov. 2017).
- Steynberg AP, Nel HG, Fuel, 83(6), 765 (2004)
- Wang TF, Wang JF, Jin Y, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 46(18), 5824 (2007)
- Ivanov IP, Solid Fuel Chem., 41(1), 3 (2007)
- Crawford DL, Nielsen EP, Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol., 54(1-3), 223 (1995)
- Catcheside DEA, Ralph JP, Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 52(1), 16 (1999)
- Gotz GKE, Fakoussa RM, Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 52(1), 41 (1999)
- Jayanti S, Maheswaran K, Daravanan V, Appl. Math. Model., 31, 934 (2007)
- Kawatra SK, “Froth Flotation-Fundamental Principles Flotation System,” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froth_flotation (Accessed: Nov. 2017).
- Tarleton ES, Wakeman RJ, Solid/Liquid Separation: Equipment Selection and Process Design, 1st ed., Elsevier, Oxford (1997).
- England T, Report for Coaltech 2020 (2000).
- Dohm ED, Ripepi NS, Luttrell GH, Karmis ME, Adel GT, Ph.D. Dissertation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia, USA (2013).
- Ozmak M, Aktas Z, Energy Fuels, 20(3), 1123 (2006)
- SNF Flomin, “Agents of reagents,” Mining Magazine, 61-65 (2011).
- Han C, Restrospective Theses and Dissertations, Iowa State University, Iowa, USA (1983).
- Sis H, Ozbayoglu G, Sarikaya M, Miner. Eng., 16(4), 399 (2003)
- Polat M, Polat H, Chander S, Int. J. Miner. Process., 72(1-4), 199 (2003)
- Zhang ZQ, Wang CL, Yan KF, Miner. Eng., 79, 31 (2015)
- Sonmez I, Akdemir U, Sahbudak K, Energy Sources, 27(4), 381 (2005)
- Khan MZ, Chun DH, Yoo J, Kim SD, Rhim YJ, Choi HK, Lim J, Lee S, Rifella A, RSC Adv., 5(78), 63955 (2015)
- Jo EM, Chun DH, Park IS, Kim SD, Rhim YJ, Choi H, Yoo J, Lim JH, Lee S, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 31(6), 981 (2014)