Korean Journal of Materials Research, Vol.28, No.2, 89-94, February, 2018
18K 레드 골드 정함량 솔더의 In 첨가에 따른 물성변화
Properties of the 18K Red Gold Solder Alloys with Indium Contents
The properties of 18 K red gold solder alloys were investigated by changing the content of In up to 10.0 wt% in order to replace the hazardous Cd element. Cupellation and energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS) were used to check the composition of each alloy, and FE-SEM and UV-VIS-NIR-Colormeter were employed for microstructure and color characterization. The melting temperature, hardness, and wetting angle of the samples were determined by TGA-DTA, the Vickers hardness tester, and the Wetting angle tester. The cupellation result confirmed that all the samples had 18K above 75.0wt%-Au. EDS results showed that Cu and In elements were alloyed with the intended composition without segregation. The microstructure results showed that the amount of In increased, and the grain size became smaller. The color analysis revealed that the proposed solders up to 10.0 wt% In showed a color similar to the reference 18 K substrate like the 10.0 wt% Cd solder with a color difference of less than 7.50. TGA-DTA results confirmed that when more than 5.0 wt% of In was added, the melting temperature decreased enough for the soldering process. The Vickers hardness result revealed that more than 5.0 wt% In solder alloys had greater hardness than 10.0 wt% Cd solder, which suggested that it was more favorable in making a wire type solder. Moreover, all the In solders showed a lower wetting angle than the 10.0 wt% Cd solder. Our results suggested that the In alloyed 18 K red gold solders might replace the conventional 10.0 wt% Cd solder with appropriate properties for red gold jewelry soldering.
- Saeger KE, Rodies J, Gold Bulletin, 10, 10 (1977)
- Rapson WS, Gold Bulletin, 23, 125 (1990)
- Jin S, Duarte LI, Leinenbach C, J. Alloy. Compd., 588, 7 (2014)
- Pal U, Ramirez JFS, Liu HB, Medina A, Ascencio JA, Appl. Phys. A-Mater. Sci. Process., 79, 79 (2004)
- Ferro R, Saccone A, Maccio D, Delfino S, Gold Bulletin, 36, 39 (2003)
- Kleppa OJ, J. Phys. Chem., 60, 858 (1956)
- Song JH, Song OS, Korean J. Mater. Res., 27(7), 379 (2017)
- Determination of Gold in Gold Jewellery Alloys-Cupellation Method(fire assay), KS D ISO 11426.
- Nriagu JO, J. Chem. Educ., 62, 668 (1985)
- Sohn YC, Wang Q, Ham SJ, Jeong BG, Jung KD, Choi MS, Kim WB, Moon CY, Electronic Components and Technology Conference (IEEE, San Diego, USA, 2007) p.633, 2007.
- Corbalan M, Millan MS, Yzuel MJ, Opt. Eng., 39, 1470 (2000)
- Schroers J, Lohwongwatana B, Johnson WL, Peker A, Mater. Sci. Eng. A-Struct. Mater. Prop. Microstruct. Process., 449, 235 (2007)
- Nascimento RMD, Martinelli AE, Buschinelli AJA, Ceramica, 49, 178 (2003)