Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.58, 216-221, February, 2018
Enhanced phosphorus bioavailability and heavy metal removal from sewage sludge ash through thermochemical treatment with chlorine donors
Direct application of sewage sludge ash (SSA) to agriculture is mostly prohibited due to its heavy metals and limited bioavailability. Thermochemical treatment of SSA with Cl-donors were carried out to remove heavy metals and enhance P bioavailability. MgCl2 and CaCl2 removed more heavy metal than other Cl-donors. Pb was completely removed followed by Cd, Zn, Cu. They also increased P bioavailability by the conversion of Al?P to Ca/Mg-P which was confirmed by chemical fractionation. XRD confirmed the conversion of AlPO4 to Ca5(PO4)3Cl, Ca3(PO4)2, and Mg3(PO4)2 by the thermochemical treatment.
- Donatello S, Cheeseman CR, Waste Manage., 33, 2329 (2013)
- Kim M, Han DW, Kim DJ, Bioresour. Technol., 190, 522 (2015)
- Ali TU, Kim DJ, Bioresour. Technol., 217, 233 (2016)
- Liu Z, Qian G, Sun Y, Xu R, Zhou J, Xu Y, Energy Fuels, 24, 2470 (2010)
- Lim BH, Kim DJ, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 46, 62 (2017)
- Chris Y, Kirk D W, J. Hazard. Mater., 64, 75 (1999)
- Han J, Xu M, Yao H, Furuuchi M, Sakano T, Kim HJ, Waste Manage., 27, 833 (2008)
- Adam C, Peplinski B, Michaelis M, Kley G, Simon FG, Waste Manage., 29, 1122 (2009)
- Vogel C, Adam C, Environ. Sci. Technol., 45, 7445 (2011)
- Anderson KJ, Kisser MI, Digestion of Solid Matrices.Desk Study Horizontal, Eurofins A/A, Austria, 2004.
- APHA, AWWA, WEF, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 18th ed., (2005).
- European Parliament, Council of the European Union. Regulation (EC) No 2003/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 October 2003 relating to fertilisers, 2003. http://data.europa.eu/eli/reg/2003/2003/oj.
- Paludan C, Jensen HS, Wetlands, 15, 365 (1995)
- Mattenberger H, Fraissler G, Brunner T, Herk P, Hermann L, Obernberger I, Waste Manage., 28, 2709 (2008)
- Nowak B, Rocha SF, Aschenbrenner P, Rechberger H, Winter F, Chem. Eng. J., 179, 178 (2012)
- Nowak B, Perutka L, Aschenbrenner P, Kraus P, Rechberger H, Waste Manage., 31, 1285 (2011)
- Li RD, Zhao WW, Li YL, Wang WY, Zhu X, J. Hazard. Mater., 283, 423 (2015)
- Fraissler G, Joller M, Mattenberger H, Brunner T, Obernberger I, Chem. Eng. Process., 48(1), 152 (2009)
- Zhang YG, Chen Y, Meng AH, Li QH, Cheng HF, J. Hazard. Mater., 153(1-2), 309 (2008)
- Perry RH, Green DW, Maloney JO, Perry’s Chemical Engineers’ Handbook, 6th ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1985.
- Yaws CL, The Yaws Handbook of Vapor Pressure: Antoine Coefficients, 2nd ed., Gulf Professional Publishing, Texas, 2015.
- Dean JA, Lange’s Handbook of Chemistry, 12th ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1979.
- Peplinski B, Adam C, Michaelis M, Kley G, Emmerling F, Simon FG, Kristallogr Z, Suppl., 30, 459 (2009)
- Lee MS, Kim DJ, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 51, 64 (2017)
- Gustafsson JP, Visual MINTEQ. Ver. 3.0, 2012. http://vminteq.lwr.kth.se/.