Korean Chemical Engineering Research, Vol.55, No.6, 785-790, December, 2017
Recovery of Zinc in Spent Pickling Solution with Oxalic Acid
To collect zinc, Fe and Zn in spent pickling solution were extracted by using TBP (tributyl phosphate), and Zn was recovered from extracted solution to zinc oxalate particles by oxalic acid solution. The reusability of TBP solvent was also tested. The distribution coefficient of Zn was not affected by the concentration of Fe in spent pickling solution, almost constant with the values of 7.12~9.31 when extracted by TBP solvent. It was found that the extraction capacity of TBP solvent for Zn is higher than that for Fe. The extraction efficiency of Zn was higher than 95%, while most of Fe was left in aqueous phase. After the recovery, the used TBP solvent could be repeatedly reused for the extraction of Zn up to eight times. XRD analysis showed that zinc oxalate (ZnC2O4 2H2O) was formed from the reaction of Zn-TBP and oxalic acid. From the results of SEM analysis, the formation of zinc oxalate particle was strongly affected by the concentration of oxalic acid. In summary, Zn in spent pickling solution was successfully separated and recovered with TBP solvent and oxalic acid solution, respectively.
- Laso J, Garcia V, Bringas E, Urtiaga AM, Ortiz I, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 54(12), 3218 (2015)
- Silva JE, Paiva AP, Soares D, Labrincha A, Castro F, J. Hazard. Mater., 120(1-3), 113 (2005)
- Bolto BA, Pawlowski L, Effluent Water Treatment Journal, 23(6), 233 (1983)
- Kang CD, Sim SJ, Kim WS, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 8(4), 328 (2002)
- Argiropoulos G, Cattrall RW, Hamilton IC, Kolev SD, Paimin R, J. Membr. Sci., 138(2), 279 (1998)
- Csicsovszki G, Kekesi T, Torok TI, Hydrometallurgy, 77(1-2), 19 (2005)
- Lee K, Lee I, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 10(2), 196 (2004)
- El Dessouky SI, El-Nadi YA, Ahmed IM, Saad EA, Daoud JA, Chem. Eng. Process., 47(2), 177 (2008)
- Jha MK, Kumar V, Singh RJ, Sol. Extr. Ion Exch., 20(3), 389 (2002)
- Tomaszewska M, Gryta M, Morawski AW, Sep. Purif. Technol., 22-23, 591 (2001)
- Ju CS, Cheon JK, Ha HD, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 38(1), 13 (2000)
- Jandova J, Maixner J, Grygar T, J. Ceramics-Silikaty, 46(2), 52 (2002)
- Konishi V, Nomura T, Mizoe K, Hydrometallurgy, 74(1-2), 57 (2004)
- Swain B, Chungnam National University, Korea, 1-237(2007).
- Mahmoud MHH, Barakat MA, Renewable Energy and Environment Protection Technology, 651-662(2001).
- Regel-Rosocka M, Szymanowski J, Sol. Extr. Ion Exch., 23(3), 411 (2005)
- Grzeszczyk A, Regel-Rosocka M, Hydrometallurgy, 86(1-2), 72 (2007)
- Andersson SOS, Reinhardt H, New York: John Wiley, c(1983).
- Regel-Rosocka M, Sastre AM, Szymanowski J, Environ. Sci. Technol., 35, 630 (2001)
- Hwang JS, Oh CH, Lee CT, J. Korean Solid Waste Engineering Society, 13, 96 (1996)
- Ahn JW, Park H, J. Korean Inst. Mineral Energy Resources Engineers, 35, 588 (1998)