Korean Chemical Engineering Research, Vol.55, No.4, 490-496, August, 2017
Steady State Design for the Separation of Acetone-Chloroform Maximum Boiling Azeotrope Using Three Different Solvents
We have designed an extractive distillation for separating maximum boiling azeotrope of acetone-chloroform system. PRO/II 9.4 was used to simulate the overall process. The VLE data adopted from Dortmund data bank was regressed to obtain a new set of binary interaction parameters. Three different entrainers were used for the separation process--dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), ethylene glycol (EG) and benzene--to test their viability for the acetone-chloroform system. Thermodynamic feasibility analysis was done through ternary map diagrams. Two different thermodynamic models, NRTL and UNIQUAC, were explored for the study of overall process.
Keywords:Extractive distillation;Maximum boiling azeotrope;Relative volatility;Residue curve map;Distillation boundary
- de Figueiredo MF, Guedes BP, de Araujo JMM, Vasconcelos LGS, Brito RP, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 89(3), 341 (2011)
- Shen W Dong L, Wei S, Li J, AIChE…, 2015.
- Lee FM, “Extractive Distillation,” 2000..
- Lei Z, Li C, Chen B, Sep. Purif. Rev., 32(2), 121 (2003)
- Knapp J, Doherty M, AIChE J., 36(7), 969 (1990)
- Luyben WL, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 47(16), 6140 (2008)
- Ramakul P, Hronec M, Pancharoen U, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 24(2), 282 (2007)
- Kossack S, Kraemer K, Gani R, Marquardt W, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 86(7A), 781 (2008)
- Luyben WL, Comput. Chem. Eng., 50, 1 (2013)
- Rodriguez-Donis I, Gerbaud V, Joulia X, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 51(18), 6489 (2012)
- Kudryavtseva LS, Susarev MPZPK, Leningard, “Liquid- vapor Equilibrium in Chloroform-hexane and Acetone-chloroform Systems,” 36, 1231-1237(1963).
- Sassa Y, “Isothermal Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium Data of DMSO Solutions by Total Pressure Method. DMSO-Acetone, DMSOTetrahydrofuran, and DMSO-Ethyl Acetate Systems,” 19(1), 44- 48(1974).
- Philippe R, Jambon C, Clechet P, J. Chem. Thermodyn., 5(3), 431 (1973)
- Brown SF, J. Chem, 10, 423 (1957)
- International Critcal Tables. MC Graw Hill, 1928.
- Langston P, Hilal N, Shingfield S, Webb S, Chem. Eng. Process., 44(3), 345 (2005)
- Lei Z, Li C, Chen B, Sep. Purif. Rev., 32, 121 (2003)