Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol.34, No.7, 2002-2010, July, 2017
Influence of feeding mode on cooling crystallization of L-lysine in Couette-Taylor crystallizer
A continuous Couette-Taylor (CT) crystallizer was used to apply a multiple feeding mode strategy to enhance the crystal size and size distribution of L-lysine crystals in cooling crystallization. With a 5-min mean residence time, feed concentration of 900 g/l, and rotation speed of 700 rpm, the multiple feeding mode strategy Run-III (D21) produced a large crystal size of 139 μm and coefficient of variation (CV) for the size distribution of 0.39, both of which were significantly enhanced when compared with the conventional feeding mode Run-I (D1) that produced a crystal size of 82 μm and CV for the size distribution of 0.53. Essentially, the crystal size was enhanced around 70%, while the size distribution was improved around 28%. Finally, the impact of the multiple feeding mode strategy on the crystal size and size distribution is explained in terms of effective control of the supersaturation.
Keywords:Multiple Feeding Mode;Taylor Vortex Flow;Couette-taylor Crystallizer;Cooling Crystallization;Nucleation;Growth;Mass Transfer;Heat Transfer
- Myerson AS, Butterworth- Heinemann, Oxford (1993).
- Shimiza K, Nomura T, Takahashi K, J. Cryst. Growth, 191, 178 (1998)
- Liotta V, Sabesan V, Org. Proc. Res. Dev., 8, 488 (2004)
- Kubota N, Doki N, Yokota M, Jagadesh D, J. Chem. Eng. Jpn., 35(11), 1063 (2002)
- Davey R, Garside J, Oxford University Press, New York (2000).
- Shan G, Igarashi K, Noda H, Ooshima H, Chem. Eng. J., 85(2-3), 161 (2002)
- Takiyama H, Shindo K, Matsuoka M, J. Chem. Eng. Jpn., 35(11), 1072 (2002)
- Kim DY, Yang DR, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 32(7), 1222 (2015)
- Nguyen AT, Kim JM, Chang SM, Kim WS, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 49(10), 4865 (2010)
- Lee S, Choi A, Kim WS, Myerson AS, Cryt. Growth Des., 11, 5019 (2011)
- Kim JM, Chang SM, Chang JH, Kim WS, Colloids Surf. A: Physicochem. Eng. Asp., 384, 31 (2011)
- Lee S, Lee CH, Kim WS, J. Cryst. Growth, 373, 32 (2012)
- Nguyen AT, Yu T, Kim WS, J. Crys. Growth, DOI:10.1016/ j.jcrysgro.2016.10.020 (2017).
- Nguyen AT, Joo YL, Chang SM, Kim WS, Cryt. Growth Des., 12, 2780 (2012)
- McCabe WL, Smith JC, Harriott P, Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering 6th, McGraw Hill, Boston (2001).