Applied Chemistry for Engineering, Vol.28, No.3, 294-298, June, 2017
재사용이 가능한 methyl 4-formylbenzoate로부터 4,4’-di((E)-styryl)-1,1’-biphenyl 골격 구조를 갖는 새로운 형광증백제 개발 연구
Development of New Fluorescent Whitening Agent with 4,4’-Di((E)-styryl)-1,1’-biphenyl Skeleton from Recyclable Source MFB
Dimethyl terephthalate (DMT) 생산과정의 부산물로서 폐기 처리되어왔던 methyl 4-formylbenzoate (MFB)를 출발 물질로하여 고급 형광증백제 family인 Uvitex FP와 동일한 4,4’-di((E)-styryl)-1,1’-biphenyl 기본 골격을 갖는 새로운 형광증백제(fluorescent whitening agent) 후보 물질 6종을 합성하였다. 후보 물질 6종은 MFB 및 그의 유도체와 tetraethyl biphenyl-4,4’-diylbis (methylene) diphosphonate (3)와 Wittig-Horner 반응을 이용하여 합성하였다. 합성된 6종에 대하여 형광증백제로의 가능성을 확인하기 위하여 UV spectrum을 기록하여 몰흡광 계수를 얻었으며, 6종 모두 Uvitex FP 127(log ε 4.85)보다 낮은 몰흡광 계수(log ε 3.95~2.60)를 보임으로서 형광증백제로는 적합하지 못한 것을확인하였다.
Six new fluorescent whitening agent’s candidates with 4,4’-di((E)-styryl)-1,1’-biphenyl skeleton which is the same as that of Uvitex FP family were synthesized using methyl 4-formylbenzoate (MFB) as a starting material. MFB has been disposed as a by-product of dimethyl terephthalate (DMT) production process. Six candidates were synthesized by the reaction of MFB, and its derivatives with tetraethyl biphenyl-4,4’-diylbis(methylene)diphosphonate (3) using Witti -Horner reaction. A series of UV spectra were recorded and the results were used for estimating molar absorptivities ofeach candidates in order to find their potential application as fluorescent whitening agents. Considering the molar absorptivity (log ε 3.95~2.60) for all candidates was lower than that of the commercial Uvitex FP 127 (log ε 4.85), it was concluded that they are not suitable for fluorescent whitening agent applications.
Keywords:methyl 4-formylbenzoate;recyclable source;DMT;fluorescent whitening agent;4,4’-di((E)-styryl)-1,1’-biphenyl skeleton
- Mitchell AR, Pagoria PF, Schmidt RD, 27th International Annual Conference ICT on Energetic Materials. June 25-28, Karlsruhe, Germany (1996).
- Mitchell AR, Pagoria PF, Schmidt RD, 29th International Annual Conference ICT on Energetic Materials. June 30-July 3, Karlsruhe, Germany (1998).
- Kim KD, Yu Y, Jeong HJ, Ham MJ, Kim KL, Kim AN, Davgajantsan O, Park GS, Kim SC, Bull. Korean Chem. Soc., 33, 4275 (2012)
- Kim SH, Ryu Y, Kim JC, Kim SC, Appl. Chem. Eng., 26(5), 621 (2015)
- Kim KD, Ryu Y, Kim SC, Appl. Chem. Eng., 25(3), 337 (2014)
- Ryu Y, Kim JC, Ham MJ, Kim SC, Appl. Chem. Eng., 27(2), 195 (2016)
- Kim JC, Ryu Y, Kim SC, Appl. Chem. Eng., 27(5), 508 (2016)
- Weber K, Luethi C, Styryl compounds, process for their manufacture and their use, US Patent 3,825,534 (1974).
- Siegrist AE, Liechti P, Meyer HR, Weber K, Aromatic compounds containing ethylene double bonds, processes for their manufacture and use, US Patent 3,991,049 (1976).
- Guglielmetti L, Meyer HR, Reinehr D, Weber K, Mixtures of fluorescent whitening agents, US Patent 4,867,906 (1989).
- Ford-Moore AH, Perry BJ, Org. Synth. Coll. Collect., 4, 325 (1963)
- Sundberg RJ, Buckowork PA, Holcombe FO, J. Org. Chem., 32, 2938 (1967)
- Pommer H, Siebel HP, Schwen R, Stilz W, Macromolecular substances optically brightened with 1,4-bis-styryl- benzenes, US Patent 3,177,153 (1965).
- Stilz W, Pommer H, Production of compounds of the 1,4-divinylbenzene series, US Patent 3,177,208 (1965).