Korean Journal of Materials Research, Vol.27, No.1, 43-47, January, 2017
섬유화 온도 변화에 따른 E-glass fiber의 물리적 특성
Physical Properties of E-glass Fiber According to Fiberizing Temperature
E (Electric) -glass fibers are the most widely used glass fibers, taking up 90 % of the long glass fiber market. However, very few papers have appeared on the physical characteristics of E-glass fibers and how they depend on the fiberizing temperature of fiber spinning. Glass fiber was fabricated via continuous spinning process using bulk E-glass. In order to fabricate the E-glass specimen, raw materials were put into a Pt crucible and melted at 1550 °C for 2hrs; mixture was then annealed at 621 ± 10 °C for 2hrs. The transmittance and adaptable temperature for spinning of the bulk marble glass were characterized using a UV-visible spectrometer and a viscometer. Continuous spinning was carried out using direct melting spinning equipment as a function of the fiberizing temperature in the range of 1175~1250 °C, while the winder speed was fixed at 500 rpm. Subsequently we investigated the physical properties of the E-glass fiber. The average diameter of the synthesized glass fiber was measured by optical microscope. The mechanical properties of the fiber were confirmed using a UTM (universal materials testing machine); the maximum tensile strength was measured and found to be 1843 ± 449MPa at 1225 °C.
- Li H, Yan M, J. Petrol. Sci. Eng., 78, 371 (2011)
- Brown N, Davis AK, Compos. Sci. Technol., 65, 129 (2005)
- Lee JS, Lim TY, J. Korean Cryst. Growth Cryst. Technol., 23, 44 (2013)
- Wallenberger FT, Glass Fibers ASTM Handbook, 21, 28 (2001)
- Wallenberger FT, Advanced Inorganic Fibers, p. 132, Kluwer Academic Publishers, (1999).
- Kim TS, Kil DS, June HS, Kang EH, Yoon SS, Anal. Sci. Technol., 13, 775 (2000)
- Ilankeeran PK, Mohite PM, Mod. Mech. Eng., 2, 151 (2012)