Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.36, 251-254, April, 2016
Fabrication of polycarbonate blends with poly(methyl methacrylate-co-phenyl methacrylate) copolymer: Miscibility and scratch resistance properties
Poly(methyl methacrylate-co-phenyl methacrylate) (PMPA) was blended with polycarbonate (PC) to ameliorate the poor scratch resistance of pure PC. The miscibility of the PC/PMPA blends was analyzed by dynamic-mechanical thermal analysis (DMTA), differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and optical measurements. These results indicated that PC/PMPA blends are miscible at all of the compositions used in this study. Also, quantitative analysis of their miscibility was performed by using classical glass-transition temperature (Tg)-composition models (Fox equation and Gordon-Taylor equation). The PMPA effect on the tensile properties and scratch resistance of PC/PMPA blends were investigated. With increasing PMPA content, the scratch resistance of the blends was found to increase, whereas other tensile properties such as tensile strength and tensile modulus did not change due to the good miscibility between PC and PMPA.
Keywords:Polycarbonate;Poly(methyl methacrylate-co-phenyl methacrylate);Blend;Miscibility;Scratch resistance;Tensile properties
- Charitidis C, Laskarakis A, Kassavetis S, Gravalidis C, Logothetidis S, Superlattices Microstruct., 36, 171 (2004)
- Lee JH, Cho JS, Koh SK, Kim D, Thin Solid Films, 449, 147 (2003)
- Goutam D, Debtosh K, J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 228, 221 (2001)
- Guo YB, Hong CNF, Diam. Relat. Mat., 12, 946 (2003)
- Mackenzie JD, Bescher E, J. Sol-Gel Sci. Technol., 27, 7 (2003)
- LeGrand DG, Bendler JT, Handbook of Polycarbonate Science and Technology, Marcel Dekker, NY, USA, 2000.
- Lhoest JB, Bertrand P, Weng LT, Dewez JL, Macromolecules, 28(13), 4631 (1995)
- Woo EM, Su CC, Polymer, 37(18), 4111 (1996)
- Agari Y, Ueda A, Omura Y, Nagai S, Polymer, 38(4), 801 (1997)
- Kita Y, Kishino K, Nakagawa K, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 63(3), 363 (1997)
- Fox TG, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc., 2, 123 (1956)
- Gordon M, Taylor JS, J. Appl. Chem., 2, 493 (1952)
- Prud’homme RE, Polym. Eng. Sci., 22, 90 (1982)
- Li YJ, Shimizu H, Polym. Eng. Sci., 51(7), 1437 (2011)
- Bhattacharya RS, Surf. Coat. Technol., 103-104, 151 (1998)
- Song J, Thurber CM, Kobayashi S, Baker AM, Macosko CW, Silvis HC, Polymer, 53(16), 3636 (2012)
- Utracki LA, Polymer Alloys and Blends: Thermodynamics and Rheology. Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich. 1990.
- Singh AK, Prakash R, Pandey D, RSC Adv., 3, 15411 (2013)