Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.36, 74-79, April, 2016
Combustion characteristics of Pinus rigida specimens treated with mixed phosphorus-nitrogen additives
The combustive properties of Pinus rigida specimens treated with the mixed phosphorus (P)-nitrogen (N) additives were tested. Each P. rigida specimen was painted three times with 15 wt% mixed P-N additive solutions at room temperature. After drying the specimen treated with chemicals, the combustive properties were examined using a cone calorimeter (ISO 5660-1). The time to ignition (TTI) for the specimens treated with the mixed additives was in the range, 70-109 s. The specimens treated with the mixed P-N additives showed a lower peak heat release rate by 3.8-25.5% and lower total heat release by 6.1-22.1% than those of the samples treated with the pure P-N additives. The effective heat of combustion (EHC) for the sample treated with the mixed P- additives was 15.68-18.70 MJ/kg, which was lower than that of the pure P-N additive plate. Among mixed P-N additives, N,N′-piperazine bis(methylenephosphonic acid) (PIPEABP)/pyrophosphoric acid (PP)/4NH4+ (2:1) had the highest fire performance index (FPI) and lowest fire growth index (FGI). The fire risk of all the samples treated with the P-N additives except sample 2 is much smaller than that of untreated sample and it shows improved fire safety.
Keywords:Mixed phosphorus (P)-nitrogen (N) additive;Combustive properties;Fire performance index (FPI);Fire growth index (FGI)
- Mcknight TS, Fore. Prod. Res. Branch, Dep. of Forestry, Canada, Report No. 190, 1962.
- Middleton JC, Dragoner SM, Winters FT, For. Prod. J., 15, 463 (1965)
- Goldstein IS, Dreher WA, For. Prod. J., 11, 235 (1961)
- Kozlowski R, Helwig M, Progress in Flame Retardancy and Flammability Testing, in: 1st Int Conf. Progess in Flame Retardancy and Flammability Testing, Institute of Natural Fibres, Poznan, Poland, 1995.
- Stevens R, Daan SE, Bezemer R, Kranenbarg A, Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 91, 832 (2006)
- Chung YJ, Kim Y, Kim S, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 15(6), 888 (2009)
- Hardy ML, Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 64, 545 (1999)
- Tanaka Y, Epoxy Resin Chemistry and Technology, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1988.
- Zhang ZX, Zhang J, Lu BX, Xin ZX, Kang CK, Kim JK, Composites B: Eng., 43, 150 (2012)
- Pedieu R, Koubaa A, Riedl B, Wang XM, Deng J, Eur. J. Wood Prod., 70, 191 (2011)
- Winandy JE, Wang Q, White RH, Wood Fiber Sci., 40, 62 (2008)
- ISO 5660-1, Reaction-to-Fire Tests - Heat Release, Smoke Production and Mass Loss Rate - Part 1: Heat Release Rate (Cone Calorimeter Method), Genever, 2002.
- Babrauskas V, in: Grayson SJ, Smith DA (Eds.), New Technology to Reduce Fire Losses and Costs, Elsevier Applied Science Publisher, London, UK, 1986.
- Hirschler MM, ACS Symp. Ser., 239, 797 (2001)
- Lee CH, Lee CW, Kim JW, Suh CK, Kim KM, Korean Patent 2011-0034978, 2011.
- Jiang J, Li J, Gao Q, Constr. Build. Mater., 75, 74 (2015)
- Grexa O, Horvathova E, Besinova O, Lehocky P, Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 64, 529 (1999)
- Cischem Com, Flame Retardants, Chischem. Com. Co., Ltd., 2009.
- Shafizadeh F, DeGroot WF, in: Shafizadeh F, Sarkenen KV, Tillman DA (Eds.), Thermal Uses and Properties of Carbohydrates and Lignins, Academic Press, New York, 1976.
- Chung YJ, Jin E, J. Korean Oil Chem. Soc., 30, 1 (2013)
- Chung YJ, Fire Sci. Eng., 29, 13 (2015)
- Simpso WT, Wood Handbook . Wood as an Engineering Material, Forest Product Laboratory U.S.D.A., Forest Service Madison, WI, USA, 1987 (Chapter 12).
- Spearpoint MJ, NIST GCR 99-775, USA, 1999.
- Pearce FM, Khanna YP, Raucher D, Thermal Characterization of Polymeric Materials, Academic Press, New York, USA, 1981 (Chapter 8).
- DeHaan JD, fifth ed., Kirks’s Fire Investigation, vol. 84, Prentice Hall, NJ, USA, 2002.
- Babrauskas V, Fire Mater., 8, 81 (1984)
- Babrauskas V, Grayson SJ, Heat Release in Fires, vol. 644, E & FN Spon (Chapman and Hall), London, UK, 1992.
- Babrauskas V, Heat Release Rate, Section 3, The SFPE Handbook of Fire Protection Engineering, fourth ed., National Fire Protection Association, MA, USA, 2008.
- Spearpoint MJ, Quintiere JG, Combust. Flame, 123(3), 308 (2000)
- Hagen M, Hereid J, Delichtsios MA, Zhang J, Bakirtzis D, Fire Saf. J., 44, 1053 (2009)
- Quintire JG, Principles of Fire Behavior, Cengage Learning, Delmar, USA, 1998 (Chapter 5).
- Santoni PA, Romagnoli E, Chiaramonti N, Barboni T, J. Fire Sci., 33, 290 (2015)
- Wang B, Tang Q, Hong N, Song L, Wang L, Shi Y, et al., ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 3, 3754 (2011)
- Cardelli A, Ruggeri G, Calderisi M, Lednev O, Cardelli C, Tombari E, Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 97, 2536 (2012)
- Coudreuse A, Noireaux P, Noblat R, Basfar A, J. Fire Sci., 28, 497 (2010)
- Fang S, Hu Y, Song L, Zhan J, He Q, J. Mater. Sci., 43, 1057 (2007)
- Jiao C, Chen X, Zhang J, J. Fire Sci., 27, 465 (2009)