Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol.28, 241-246, August, 2015
Application of Langmuir and Freundlich isotherms to predict adsorbate removal efficiency or required amount of adsorbent
The aim of this study was to investigate how basic adsorption isotherms could be applied to predict removal efficiency or required adsorbent mass under given sets of initial conditions. The intrinsic parameters of the Langmuir and Freundlich adsorption isotherms were experimentally obtained and subsequently utilized to predict removal efficiencies for other sets of initial solute concentrations, solution volumes, and adsorbent masses, or to estimate the adsorbent mass required to remove solute at a desired removal efficiency. This was accomplished by combining the isotherms with mass balance of solutes between liquid solution and solid adsorbent phases.
- Ali I, Gupta VK, Nat. Protoc., 1, 2661 (2006)
- Anderson N, Rubin AJ, Adsorption of Inorganics at Solid-Liquid Interfaces, Ann Arbor Science Publishers Inc., Ann Arbor, 1981.
- Snoeyink VL, Adsorption of organic compounds, McGraw-Hill, Inc, USA, 1990.
- Li Q, Snoeyink VL, Marinas BJ, Campos C, Water Res., 37, 4863 (2003)
- Shin EW, Han JS, Jang M, Min SH, Park JK, Rowell RM, Environ. Sci. Technol., 38, 912 (2004)
- Rouquerol J, Rouquerol F, Llewellyn P, Maurin G, Sing KS, Adsorption by Powders and Porous Solids: Principles, Methodology and Applications, Academic Press, Waltham, 2013.
- Chen YC, Lu C, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 20(4), 2521 (2014)
- Khosravi M, Azizian S, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 20(4), 2561 (2014)
- Crittenden JC, Vaitheeswaran K, Hand DW, Howe EW, Aieta EM, Tate CH, Mcguire MJ, Davis MK, Water Res., 27, 715 (1993)
- Crittenden JC, Trussell RR, Hand DW, Howe KJ, Tchobanoglous G, MWH’s Water Treatment: Principles and Design, Wiley, Hoboken, 2012.
- Najm IN, Snoeyink VL, Lykins BW, Adams JQ, J. Am. Water Works Assn., 83, 65 (1991)
- Sontheimer H, Crittenden J, Summers R, American Water Works Association, DVGW Forschungsstelle Engler Bunte Institute, Karlsruhe, 1988.
- Knappe DR, Rossner A, Snyder SA, Strickland C, Alternative Adsorbents for the Removal of Polar Organic Contaminants, American Water Works Association, Denver, 2007.
- Rossner A, Snyder SA, Knappe DR, Water Res., 43, 3787 (2009)
- Crini G, Bioresour. Technol., 97(9), 1061 (2006)
- Hsu TC, J. Hazard. Mater., 171(1-3), 995 (2009)
- Ok YS, Lim JE, Moon DH, Environ. Geochem. Health, 33, 83 (2011)
- Namasivayam C, Sakoda A, Suzuki M, J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 80(3), 356 (2005)
- Edzwald JK, Water Quality & Treatment: A Handbook on Drinking Water, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2011.
- Najm IN, Snoeyink VL, Richard Y, J. Am. Water Works Assn., 57 (1991)
- Knappe DR, Matsui Y, Snoeyink VL, Roche P, Prados MJ, Bourbigot MM, Environ. Sci. Technol., 32, 1694 (1998)
- Bolster CH, J. Environ. Qual., 37, 1986 (2008)
- BOTHWELL MK, WALKER LP, Bioresour. Technol., 53(1), 21 (1995)
- Kim WH, Phosphate removal model by calcium ion and oyster shell powder, Yonsei University, 2004 (Master’s Thesis).
- APHA, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, APHA, Washington, DC, 1992.
- Israel AB, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 15, 243 (1966)