Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol.32, No.8, 1547-1553, August, 2015
Optimal condition of torrefaction for high energy density solid fuel of fast growing tree species
The torrefaction properties of Acacia (Acacia mangium) and Albasia (Paraserianthes falcataria) were investigated by response surface methodology. Torrefaction was performed at 220-280 oC for 20-80 min depending on severity factor. Carbon content in the torrefied biomass increased with severity factor, whereas hydrogen and oxygen contents decreased both biomass. The calorific value of torrefied Acacia ranged from 20.03 to 21.60 MJ/kg, suggesting that the energy contained in the torrefied biomass increased by 5.09 to 13.62%, when compared with that in the untreated biomass. However, the calorific value of Albasia was relatively low, compared to that of torrefied Acacia. The weight loss of Albasia was higher than that of Acacia under a given torrefaction condition. The reaction temperature for torrefaction was an important factor to obtain high energy yield, whereas the effect of time was considerable lower. High temperature and short torrefaction time is required to obtain the highest energy yield from torrefaction using Acacia and Albasia.
Keywords:Torrefaction;Response Surface Methodology;Severity Factor;Calorific Value;Weight Loss;Energy Yield
- Jenkins BM, Baxter LL, Miles TR, Miles TR, Fuel Process. Technol., 54(1-3), 17 (1998)
- Chen WH, Kuo PC, Energy, 36(2), 803 (2011)
- Repellin V, Govin A, Rolland M, Guyonnet R, Biomass Bioenerg., 34(5), 602 (2010)
- Prins MJ, Ptasinski KJ, Janssen FJJG, J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis, 77, 35 (2006)
- Bourgois J, Bartholin MC, Guyonnet R, Wood Sci. Technol., 23, 303 (1989)
- Shang L, Ahrenfeldt J, Holm JK, Sanadi AR, Barsberg S, Thomsen T, Stelte W, Henriksen UB, Biomass Bioenerg., 40, 63 (2012)
- Galiana A, N'Guessan KA, Gnahoua GM, Balle P, Dupuy B, Domenach AM, Mallet B, Bois et Forets des Tropiques, 249, 51 (1996)
- Duponnois R, Ba AM, For. Ecol. Manage., 119, 209 (1999)
- Almeida G, Brito JO, Perre P, Bioresour. Technol., 101, 9978 (2010)
- Chin KL, H'ng PS, Wong WZ, Lim TW, Maminsk M, Paridah MT, Luqman AC, Ind. Crop. Prod., 49, 768 (2013)
- Lloyd TA, Wyman CE, Bioresour. Technol., 96(18), 1967 (2005)
- Service Korea Forest, The quality standard of wood pellet (2009).
- Pimchuai A, Dutta A, Basu P, Energy Fuels, 24, 4638 (2010)
- Phanphanich M, Mani S, Bioresour. Technol., 102(2), 1246 (2011)
- Van Loo S, Koppejan J, Earthscan publications, London, UK (2008).
- Yoshida T, Sano T, Nomura T, Watada H, Ohara S, World Bioenergy, 39 (2012)
- Lee JW, Kim YH, Lee SM, Lee HW, Bioresour. Technol., 116, 471 (2012)
- Ohliger A, Forster M, Kneer R, Fuel, 104, 607 (2013)
- Kim YH, Lee SM, Lee HW, Lee JW, Bioresour. Technol., 116, 120 (2012)